QuiGonJohn

2006 Ford E-450 Steering Damper

I have a 2006 Winnebago Aspect 26A (on the Ford E-450 chassis).  It has a steering damper on the front of the suspension bars, and it is leaking.  I want to replace it and have found 2 that will work.  One is Bilstein and the other is Monroe.  The Monroe is significantly less costly than the Bilstein.  Bilstein is $99 and the Monroe is $26.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/ford/e450_super_duty/steering/steering_damper.html

The current one, which might be the OEM, looks very much like the Monroe.  The Bilstein is basically the same, just adds the rubber boot over the shaft.

Anyone have experience or knowledge as to any good reason to go with the more costly Bilstein, or should the Monroe suffice nicely?

Also, I just noticed they have 2 different Bilstein's that would seem to fit my vehicle. They both say "Front" but one talks about Dual Rear Wheels.  What do they mean by that.  How could I tell which Bilstein to order, if I don't go with the Monroe?  Due to shipping, it is actually cheaper to order the $102 Bilstein than the $99 Bilstein.  So if I do choose Bilstein, I'd like to order the $102, if it would work.  Is there only one of these on my RV or am I missing seeing a second one?

I would go with the Bilstein.  The Monroe will not last as long.

On the E450, you have dual rear wheels so that is the one you need.

Ken

John.

Your not missing anything!  Ken is right, you'll be much happier in the long run, with the Bilstein! :)

Put in the Bilstein Steering Damper a couple weeks ago.  First drive with it today.  Does seem to make a big difference over my old one.  Which was dead and just along for the ride.  There was no resistance in that one any more.