marcimiller2@gmail.com

Rocky Mountain National Park Campgrounds

We are visiting RMNP in July 2010. I've reviewed the RV parks in Estes Park, and two of them are of interest but we're still unsure. Has anyone stayed at either Elk Meadows RV park & lodge or Spruce Lake RV park? What is your opinion? We are a large rig in total, 65 feet. We like pull-thru sites but it looks like we will need to unhook in these parks. Thanks for the help. Marci

Hi Marci,

I've stayed at Estes Park several times and have been disappointed every time with the CGs. I've stayed at both the CGs mentioned in your OP. In addition I've stayed at Mary's Lake CG. If I ever go back to RMNP I will not stay in any of these CGs. Estes Park CGs are a great location. The CG owners know this and:

1. cram sites together

2. a pull through site in reality may not be pull through. The CG roads are so narrow, you may need to back out of your pull through site because you can not make the turn due to your neighbor's rig being so close and the road being so narrow.

3. The facilities are small for the number of people the CG is to service. In the summer, you'll be there in peak season and pay a peak season price.

4. What you get for the price is poor roads (dirt), un-level sites (lack of grading), run down facilities (lack of maintenance) and small sites.

Elk Meadow refused to honor my reservation the last time I was there. It seems they over book, and I was the odd man out.

Unfortunately, on the east side of RMNP, I do not have a recommendation for you. Loveland has some CGs, but the trip up to RMNP is a grueling drive.

On the West site of RMNP there is Winding River Resort 970-627-3215. I've never stayed there. It is highly rated in TL's Directory. It is the CG I will try next time I visit the area. The only other CG you can try, on the west side is Elk Creek CG and Resort, 800-355-2733. Elk Creek TL ratings are slightly below Winding River. I'd try either of these CG before ever staying at an Estes Park CG again.

Hi Marci,

I've stayed at Estes Park several times and have been disappointed every time with the CGs. I've stayed at both the CGs mentioned in your OP. In addition I've stayed at Mary's Lake CG. If I ever go back to RMNP I will not stay in any of these CGs. Estes Park CGs are a great location. The CG owners know this and:

1. cram sites together

2. a pull through site in reality may not be pull through. The CG roads are so narrow, you may need to back out of your pull through site because you can not make the turn due to your neighbor's rig being so close and the road being so narrow.

3. The facilities are small for the number of people the CG is to service. In the summer, you'll be there in peak season and pay a peak season price.

4. What you get for the price is poor roads (dirt), un-level sites (lack of grading), run down facilities (lack of maintenance) and small sites.

Elk Meadow refused to honor my reservation the last time I was there. It seems they over book, and I was the odd man out.

Unfortunately, on the east side of RMNP, I do not have a recommendation for you. Loveland has some CGs, but the trip up to RMNP is a grueling drive.

On the West site of RMNP there is Winding River Resort 970-627-3215. I've never stayed there. It is highly rated in TL's Directory. It is the CG I will try next time I visit the area. The only other CG you can try, on the west side is Elk Creek CG and Resort, 800-355-2733. Elk Creek TL ratings are slightly below Winding River. I'd try either of these CG before ever staying at an Estes Park CG again.

Hi Gary, thanks for the information. Your words are similar to the reviews I read online. This is what worried me when I reviewed their websites. I saw the Campgrounds on the west side and they did look interesting but then there is the route to get there. It looked pretty windy and I don't think our long rig would handle very well. But, maybe you've been that way and know better. I did see the parks in Loveland, Longmont area and they are tempting because we will be heading north on 25 to Cheyenne after RMNP. However, making the trip back and forth to RMNP doesn't sound appealing either. Hmmm, hmmm what a puzzle! I appreciate your help. What did you do while visiting RMNP? Any must see, do? Cheers

Guest BillAdams

I guess my standards for a campground are much lower than some. I want somewhere to park my RV and get good power and water in a location convenient to my destination. We stayed at Elk Meadows with a 40' RV and a toad which we were going to disconnect to tour anyway. If you have a trailer you don't want to disconnect that's much more difficult. We were quite happy with Elk Mountain and would return should be choose to visit the Estes Park area in the future. We enjoyed the town as well as the drive (in the toad) up the mountain and then down the other side and into Grand Lake. It was very interesting to stand at the top of the mountain and look down at the trickle of water only to find out you are looking at the head waters of the Colorado River.

I guess if I was staying somewhere for weeks or months I might be more interested in the overall condition of the park but if I can get in and out (even if I have to back up) in a safe convenient location I am a pretty happy camper. As always, YMMV.

Hi Marci,

The drive over RMNP (Trail Ridge Road) is nothing to worry about. My coach is a Cummins ISC 330HP hauling 37K pounds. Back in the 1980's I did this in a gas coach and had no problems. No matter when you go, there is enough traffic that getting over 30 mph is a rare occurrence. I've made the trip several times and have never had a problem.

As to what to see at RMNP, it depends on how mobile everyone in your group is. As a starter:

1. Alpine Visitors' center. Take the Old Fall River Road to get to the visitors' center. This is because"

1a. the parking lot fills up fast and stays full. When approaching from Old Fall River Road, there are an additional 10 or so parking spaces available only to those coming from this direction.

1b. There is a place to have lunch and buy souvenirs. Plan on having lunch there. One can sit near windows that look out over the mountains. Outside the Visitors Center there is a trail one can take to get up to much higher ground. If you have kids, this is an excellent since project on how oxygen deprivation affects people from lower altitudes. The trail leads to a sign you can get your picture taken showing you hiked to over 12K feet above sea level. If you go to the end of the trail there is a meadow where animals native to the area graze. These animals somehow look a lot larger when there is nothing between the animal and you. There are also rocks for the kids to climb on (if they have any strength left).

2. Old Fall River Road is one way from the East to the West. It is a dirt road. If it hasn't rained or snowed recently, a regular 2 wheel drive sedan should be okay. There are many places to stop and enjoy the local sites. There is plenty of wild life so the speed you travel should be slow. There is nothing like making a snow man in June/early July. Buy some of those one time use plastic gloves (for dumping RV tanks). Also, bring your winter gloves. Put the one time use plastic RV gloves over the regular gloves. This helps keep your hands dry (not warm, but dry). For the trip up Old Fall River Road to the Alpine Visitors Center give yourself 3 + hours.

3. Once you finish at the Alpine Visitors Center continue West on Trail Ridge Road. Some things to see are:

3a. The Continental Divide. There is a sign where you can get your picture taken.

3b. Colorado River head waters. It is a bit of a trek to get there, but like previously posted it is something you can say you've done.

All these activities take about 6+ hours (for us).

For day one, this would end our visit. For day two, read on.

4. Trail Ridge Road - This is a two way paved road. There are many places to pull over and:

4a. view the sights

4b. watch the animals

4c. play in the snow

4d. hike another trail to the highest elevation readily available to the general public (measured by my hand held GPS)

One can have another lunch at the Alpine Visitors Center

For us and the Gkids this is enough for one day. This is about 5 to 6 hours of fun.

For back country hiking, it is best to contact the park rangers. If you try one of the CGs on the West side of RMNP, please post here how you view those CGs. Even if I was headed North on 25 after visiting RMNP, I will not stay in Estes Park CGs again.

I guess my standards for a campground are much lower than some. I want somewhere to park my RV and get good power and water in a location convenient to my destination. We stayed at Elk Meadows with a 40' RV and a toad which we were going to disconnect to tour anyway. If you have a trailer you don't want to disconnect that's much more difficult. We were quite happy with Elk Mountain and would return should be choose to visit the Estes Park area in the future. We enjoyed the town as well as the drive (in the toad) up the mountain and then down the other side and into Grand Lake. It was very interesting to stand at the top of the mountain and look down at the trickle of water only to find out you are looking at the head waters of the Colorado River.

I guess if I was staying somewhere for weeks or months I might be more interested in the overall condition of the park but if I can get in and out (even if I have to back up) in a safe convenient location I am a pretty happy camper. As always, YMMV.

You make a good point too.....hmmmmm, more thinking on my part. Thanks every bit helps.

Hi Marci,

The drive over RMNP (Trail Ridge Road) is nothing to worry about. My coach is a Cummins ISC 330HP hauling 37K pounds. Back in the 1980's I did this in a gas coach and had no problems. No matter when you go, there is enough traffic that getting over 30 mph is a rare occurrence. I've made the trip several times and have never had a problem.

As to what to see at RMNP, it depends on how mobile everyone in your group is. As a starter:

1. Alpine Visitors' center. Take the Old Fall River Road to get to the visitors' center. This is because"

1a. the parking lot fills up fast and stays full. When approaching from Old Fall River Road, there are an additional 10 or so parking spaces available only to those coming from this direction.

1b. There is a place to have lunch and buy souvenirs. Plan on having lunch there. One can sit near windows that look out over the mountains. Outside the Visitors Center there is a trail one can take to get up to much higher ground. If you have kids, this is an excellent since project on how oxygen deprivation affects people from lower altitudes. The trail leads to a sign you can get your picture taken showing you hiked to over 12K feet above sea level. If you go to the end of the trail there is a meadow where animals native to the area graze. These animals somehow look a lot larger when there is nothing between the animal and you. There are also rocks for the kids to climb on (if they have any strength left).

2. Old Fall River Road is one way from the East to the West. It is a dirt road. If it hasn't rained or snowed recently, a regular 2 wheel drive sedan should be okay. There are many places to stop and enjoy the local sites. There is plenty of wild life so the speed you travel should be slow. There is nothing like making a snow man in June/early July. Buy some of those one time use plastic gloves (for dumping RV tanks). Also, bring your winter gloves. Put the one time use plastic RV gloves over the regular gloves. This helps keep your hands dry (not warm, but dry). For the trip up Old Fall River Road to the Alpine Visitors Center give yourself 3 + hours.

3. Once you finish at the Alpine Visitors Center continue West on Trail Ridge Road. Some things to see are:

3a. The Continental Divide. There is a sign where you can get your picture taken.

3b. Colorado River head waters. It is a bit of a trek to get there, but like previously posted it is something you can say you've done.

All these activities take about 6+ hours (for us).

For day one, this would end our visit. For day two, read on.

4. Trail Ridge Road - This is a two way paved road. There are many places to pull over and:

4a. view the sights

4b. watch the animals

4c. play in the snow

4d. hike another trail to the highest elevation readily available to the general public (measured by my hand held GPS)

One can have another lunch at the Alpine Visitors Center

For us and the Gkids this is enough for one day. This is about 5 to 6 hours of fun.

For back country hiking, it is best to contact the park rangers. If you try one of the CGs on the West side of RMNP, please post here how you view those CGs. Even if I was headed North on 25 after visiting RMNP, I will not stay in Estes Park CGs again.

Great information. I will definitely do as much as I can. Sounds like you had a lot of fun there. Thanks for sharing.