LLADELS@AOL.COM

Gas Mileage

I have friends that have installed a hydrogen generator to their motorhome. He is a chemical engineer. There gas mileage has doubled. Has anyone used a hydrogen generator in their diesel motorhome? What are your thoughts and experiences with a hydrogen generator?

My folks still have an old Lincoln Towncar and they get 22 MPG. Engines can be made to give better gas mileage, it appears. Why don't they?

Linda Adels

Montgomery, Tx

Guest BillAdams

You also have "friends" who are con artists. It doesn't work. It's been disproven over and over including by the Mythbusters show. If you want to get better mileage you are going to need to buy a smaller rig! :rolleyes:

Except for those trying to make money off you, the research I have seen on the net proves that it doesn't work. You're just throwing money away on this modern day version of "snake oil"

Guest Wayne77590

Regarding the Towncar, we have a 2004 Towncar and just this past weekend on a 90 mile one way trip and back we got 25.2 MPG. DW says it is because she was driving. Actually when I'm driving I'll get a little more because i will not use cruise control and I will "feather" the accelerator.

I am not in the know about hydrogen generators. However, with my 340 ISB, at 64 mph I'll get around 8.9, and if I maintain 55 mph I'll get between 10-11 MPG.

Part of fuel mileage is just simple physics. The amount of energy in a gallon of gas or diesel is a set quantity and it has the capability to move any given mass a given distance. Increase the energy in the fuel and it will take you further. Decrease the mass and the fuel will take you further. Compare the mass of that Lincoln Towncar with the mass of your motor home. The diesel engine in a motor home is really doing a pretty good job of getting good fuel mileage to haul your 20, 30 or 50 thousand pound coach down the road. Engines can be made more efficient. That is they can convert more of the energy to motion. Transmissions and differentials take a percentage of the energy out before the motion reaches the wheels. These too can be made more efficient. Vehicles can be designed to move through the air more efficiently thus reducing the air resistance and increasing fuel efficiency. With a given coach, you have control of the total weight of the coach. You can reduce the materials you carry with you and keep fluids like fresh water and waste water to a minimum when traveling. The lighter your coach, the better the fuel mileage. Finally, how you drive your vehicle makes a huge difference in your fuel mileage. Many drivers waste energy by speeding up quickly then using the brakes to stop as opposed to planning ahead and allowing the vehicle to slow down on its own as you coast up to a light or stop sign. We had an extensive discussion about improving fuel mileage that may be of interest to you. I think you'll find many useful suggestions for improving fuel mileage with your coach in that discussion.

Does adding hydrogen to diesel increase the fuel mileage? I have no idea. How do you keep the hydrogen a gas suspended in the fuel? Hydrogen is a fuel that is capable of taking astronauts to the moon but can it be made to work efficiently in a diesel engine? How much energy does the hydrogen generator require for operation? It will require the same amount of energy to generate the hydrogen as you get from it when it is burned in the engine. This also is simple physics. There is no magical way to make energy.

I'd be very skeptical of anyone who claims they can double the fuel mileage of any vehicle without significantly altering the engine, transmission, differential, tires and weight of the coach.

Guest BillAdams
I'd be very skeptical of anyone who claims they can double the fuel mileage of any vehicle without significantly altering the engine, transmission, differential, tires and weight of the coach.

I suppose that would have been the more diplomatic answer if I had taken a bit more time before I wrote that his friend was a con-artist. I hereby retract my previous statement and simply want to make sure that you understand that you should be skeptical of anyone who makes such a stupid claim. (Oops, there I go again!)