Sign in to follow this  
brianreed

towing with a Newmar Mountain Aire

Getting this towing all setup for Doris (our 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304) to tow our mini cooper has been a series of events.  I purchased the BlueOx towbar, baseplate, and wiring from them and as far as I could see it is all very nice quality.  I have not towed with it yet, but think it will work just fine.  I decided to purchase the heavy duty 10,000lbs unit even though my car is only 2500lb.  I could not see much different in price and thought if I every purchased a larger toad then we would be covered.  

My pain was when the 7 way from Doris was not working right, I checked with a test light and everything worked except the turns signals and brake lights.  I spent hours there trying to find a fuse, or relay, but could not figure it out.  I finally called an RV guy that my dealer recommended as a last resort.  The Spartan Chassis book was of no help at all, it only had a half page of information on the fuses and the one in the book, was not even the one I had on the coach.  I even found the full Spartan wiring diagram pdf and it showed that there was an inline fuse for the brakes and turns.  It took the RV guy 4 hours to track where those fuses were, but it bugged me to find them right at the chassis battery..  Why is this not in the diagram or the fuses section of the owners manual.  So frustrating to spend $340 for a guy to find where a fuse was located.  Ugh such is life.

I leave in a few weeks on a grand adventure for 2 months making a huge loop of the US.  In the mean time I am spending every weekend at a Thousand Trails campground learning how to drive, park, and live in our Doris.  This weekend is my first time towing Estella (our 2008 Mini Cooper S) which I am excited about.

I have been to Monroe for 4 weekends in a row, we were at sites 67-71.  We will be in Chehalis next.  We also went to LaConner several weeks ago.

I had reservations for Leavenworth over Memorial Weekend, but ended up cancelling because of the towing 7 way.  We needed to have a vehicle in order to make that work with a busy weekend.