georgemyers

Manually Pointed Satellite Dish

Manually Pointed Satellite Dish

Is anyone using a manually pointed satellite dish antenna to get high definition DirecTV? Are you able to get a reasonable number of channels? We are told that the standard definition channels we have been using are going away and I am trying to find a reasonable alternative. Since 1997 we’ve been using a manually cranked up and pointed satellite dish on the roof of our coach, which has worked well. I hope to get away with just replacing the receiver.

George Myers

Directv takes the oval dish with a SWM 3 LNB.  You can  do a roof mount automatic or a ground mount on a tripod.  HD uses 3 satellites, 99, 101, 103.  You will have to have the HD receiver to match.  I have both the roof mount auto and a ground mount for when I'm in the trees.  You can receive all the channels you paid for.

Have been with Direct TV since 1995. I have never used a technician to do any of my work. The oval dish( first with 5 LNBs and later 3LNBs) can be a little tricky to mount as a portable unless you have the right meter  (pricey) and some practice. It does get easier as you go. You will need a good way to anchor the dish because it is large enough to be blown easily around. Maybe Desert Deals can suggest a meter for you. I have a Perfect Vision BIRDOG USB Plus that I used to aim our 5LNB dish, but that unit has been around for sometime. There are better meters available now. If you are going portable you will need one or you will grow frustrated  enough to skip watching HD tv often because it is too much trouble.

We have the 3LNB roof mout automatic on our Phaeton and the older 5 LNB dish permanent mount at home. The receiver/recorder works with either dish using a simple onscreen adjustment. We are spoiled now. Park cable is clearly inferior in most cases.