randy@patriotforge.com

Towing a Mazda MX5 Miata 2006

We tow a 1992 Miata 5 speed manual with 4 down. Everyone I spoke with during research could/would not say it was viable. Finally a axle disconnect support person told me that most likely it would be ok but that no one would confirm since there could be a problem with a bump throwing the transmission into gear. So to eliminate that problem, I made a 2 " wide brace out of Aluminium 1/4" bent to screw in the cup holder and notched for the gear shift. Now it's 5 minutes to install from cup holder to shift (in neutral) and away we go. 3yrs and 20,000+ miles with no problems. I can send pic if you are interested.

post-12004-1269289184_thumb.jpg

Roadmaster KIT NO. 711-4. During off season, we can take off the external cross bar and the internal brakets are recessed inside the lower nose air scoop. Not invisible but a whole lot better looking. We use a 2 sided 2" / 4" drop bar for more level pull and maybe for future hitch mounted bike rack in the top position.

Where did you get the base plate for your 92 Miata ?

Thanks,

Paul

Has anyone had experience towing a Mazda MX5 Miata 2006 by any method? I have a Class B Pleasureway Plateau which is the Sprinter chassis.

Randy,

I just bought a new PRHT and am now setting it up for flat towing.

The pre-owned baseplate that I bought came off a 2006.

I also know a couple of others who are towing NCs.

Tim = tim@ntahc.org

Where did you get the base plate for your 92 Miata ?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I just wrapped up 5 years and 35,000 miles towing my 2000 5-speed behind our RV.

I bought a new PRHT.

http://www.ntahc.org/2007/0002.JPG

I have helped over a dozen other Miata owners to get set up for towing.

The Roadmaster set-up is $400+. I have a source for a NA-NB baseplate for $100.

You can probably be up and towing for $250 or less.

Contact me at tim@ntahc.org if interested.

Tim

I have just finished a 6000 mile trip from Vancouver Island to Niagara Falls and back. Towed my 2006 Mazda MX 5 convertible with a 6 speed standard transmission with no problems. To disconnect the steering wheel lock, put key on the ignition, turn to on, steering wheel will unlock, turn key to off. Do not take key out of ignition and the steering wheel will turn freely, also the mileage towed will not register. PS I tow it behind my 33 foot A class motorhome with no problems.
Barry G

Hello Barry,

Can you provide any details on how you towed the car? I have about an 8 inch difference between the MH reciver and where the brackets would be on the Miata. That is to much of a difference. How did you set this up?

Jim

Jim,

Check out RoadMaster, I have a dual receiver I use on our class C. The 4 inch drop the tow bar connects to and we use a bike rack in the top side which is a 2" rise. Our tow bar then has about 2" of slope down to our Miata, which we have no problem with. RoadMaster also makes a 6" and 8" drop receiver. Be cautious of going to low as we have had our 4" drop hit pavement exiting a sloped gas station driveway before. I have some pictures, if I can find them I will send them to you.

Mike

We just purchased a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36' motorhome. My father in law had a class B motorhome he used to tow a 1990 Mazda Miata with 5 speed transmission behind it. The Miata has a tow bar attached to it and we have a receiver on the Bounder. Do I need to go to the expense of buying a Roadmaster type set up or just get a drop down receiver and hook the tow bar on the Miata to the ball on the receiver? The light set up is in the trunk and he had electric brakes on the class B. Not sure if there is a brake set up on the Miata. I know I need to install electric brakes on the Bounder.

Jim. Re your question on towing my Mazda Miata. Roadmaster make a custom bracket kit that I had installed on my Miata. I used Road masters Sterling all terrain tow bar which handled the height difference just fine. I also installed a front bra on the Miata. Suggest you fill in the fog lite holes with a piece of rubber carpet. Also, did not find it necessary to instal electric brakes on the car because it is so light. I have a rock guard flap on my motorhome, and after 6000 miles had no gravel rash or damage to my lights, windshield or paint job.