MONTIE

Steering Stabilizers For Motorhome

Hay, at least I didn't say hold my beer and watch this!!!!

I have felt like we were in a wind tunnel. On the way to Chandler several times coming out from under a overpass that was blocking the wind it hit the coach hard enough to make it down shift.:P Yes it buffeted the coach but I didn't feel it was out of control.

If the wind is bothering you just slow down or take a break and get off the road.:D

Bill

Bill,

The MH wandered a little. I asked the Freightliner Mechanic to check it before I had the Safe-T-Plus and he said he tightened all the nuts and bolts on the front end. That helped but it still wandered a little.  Then there was the sucking in when the big rigs passed us, and the wind had some effect also when blowing from the side or angled.  I'm not sure of your rig but when turning corners with mine it needed to be assisted in returning back to center.  Going down the highway and reaching for a drink from the drink holder is less of a problem now when one hand is on the steering wheel.  All of that movement may be because I am a lot lighter than many of the rigs out there. My GVW is 27,400 and that may account for more movement from rigs, wind, etc.,

A large amount of that movement has been reduced considerably. Mind you, not 100% but it is so much better with the Safe-T-Plus

Installed SAFE-T-PLUS 2 days ago. Drove it up and down freeway and I am very pleased. Very stable and no more wandering. I installed it myself. The U-Bolt nuts were a little tuff to get off but after that it was pretty easy. Heading to Dolores CO. in a couple of wks and looking forward to a relaxing drive.

Jerry, after "X" number of miles you need to check the bolts and re-tighten them, just as a safety precaution.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:58 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I may be the odd man out here as I don't see any benefit to having one of these products. I don't have a problem with passing trucks blowing me around. I watched a video about how this one product puts steering input into the system "automatically" to compensate for strong cross winds. Realey? Now you have more steering correction to make if the wind is blocked/suddenly stops like going under a overpass then coming out the outher side.

Maybe it is because I have had more experience driving in high wind conditions. I do drive in west Texas and the South West more than outher places. There is a reason they have built thousands of wind generators out there. Ask those who went to Chandler this spring how the winds on I-10 where. I never felt that the coach was hard to drive or I needed help with a "steering stabilizer"

Bill

Same here.  It seems most of these systems are on gassers or lighter DPs.  My coach has a GVWR of 49k, IFS (if that makes any difference) and a tag axle.  With the heavy duty power steering on this thing, I can't see the need for any more steering assist.  As for a front tire failure, had the RF blow in our previous coach, an AC Allegiance, and had no control problems getting it off the road and on to the shoulder.  Also, we just finished a long trip that included, OK, KS, CO, WY, SD, and a few more "windy" states, and had no control issues at all.  I may be incorrect, but it seems I either read or was told that the added steering systems are not needed on the heavy tag axle coaches.

We just bought and had installed a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. Did I have issues before? Not really, but I did get some push pull and some cross wind issues and maybe a little wandering. We only have 700 miles under us since the add. I won't say I am impressed, but I do think there was an improvement in handling. Would I do it again? Don't know yet. I will say that I have had a RF blowout in my last coach, Itasca Sunova, Actually thought I lost a rear tire! Noting special as to the coach, no add-ons. Was I lucky? Skilled? Who knows, I added this as I am now nearly 10 years older. Maybe my reaction times will be slower I don't know, but any help in a bad situation is a good thing. For the record our coach has been 4 corner weighed and tire pressures matched.

Safe Travels

4 hours ago, jimnorman said:

We just bought and had installed a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. Did I have issues before? Not really, but I did get some push pull and some cross wind issues and maybe a little wandering. We only have 700 miles under us since the add. I won't say I am impressed, but I do think there was an improvement in handling. Would I do it again? Don't know yet. I will say that I have had a RF blowout in my last coach, Itasca Sunova, Actually thought I lost a rear tire! Noting special as to the coach, no add-ons. Was I lucky? Skilled? Who knows, I added this as I am now nearly 10 years older. Maybe my reaction times will be slower I don't know, but any help in a bad situation is a good thing. For the record our coach has been 4 corner weighed and tire pressures matched.

Safe Travels

It would greatly help if you added the coach in your signature...as it is now, we do not know to which coach the above comments pertain.