f433921

Roadmaster 8R8R Front Brake Drums

During one of my trips last fall I has a vehicle pull out in front of has and had  to apply the brakes quite abruptly. During the application of the brakes I felt chattering and noise from left front wheel, there was no pulling of the steering wheel.

Decided to dig into during the slack time and found a deep grove in the about midway in the brake drum surface. I'm thinking that a rock must have gotten in there to cause the damage, the brake shoe thickness shows little or no wear except at the grooved area. Having difficulty locating a new brake drum. The brake drum is a WEBB 65555, what's interesting the lettering for WEBB 655 is part of the casting the last 55's are stamped in.  Checking with WEBB the 65555 is no longer available but they have a 65555B, only differences is the B indicated that it is balances.

I have been unable to locate the 65555B in the WA or OR,, I have been quotes prices from anywhere between $650-$875 plus freight. These prices sound ridiculous, when you can buy drums for a log truck for less than $200.  I have tried to cross reference the WEBB number to other manufacturers and find that there parts are obsolete.

I'm waiting from RV salvage yards to see what they might have.

Please advise if any leads on a better deal. 

Thanks

Jim

Jim, I replaced the drums on my Roadmaster 3 years ago. The factory drums from Webb were several hundered dollars over the aftermarket from Webb. Literally the only difference was the factory ones are screwed to the hub, the aftermarket are not and were balanced. Being in the trucking industry I took the number off of the drums and called Webb tech support and the ones I purchased were an option that was much more cost effective. A local Truck parts house had them in stock.

Here is the contact number;

800-931-3786,

Jim, I looked through my phone (yeah, I actually have a list of serial, parts and phone numbers in the note pad) I didn't save those. Probably since they are embossed onto the drums. I also put larger brakes on the rear which changed the drum part number. I also do not have the RR8R chassis so that might throw a curve into your issue. I have the side radiator and the older chassis which is an RM8H. 

Just tell them it doesn't matter if they screw onto the hubs. You can also call Gunite and have them cross those over if you should strike out, my rear drums are Gunite and it came with Webb from the factory. 

Gunite customer support

(800) 626-7096

If you are installing them, just remember to turn the hub so one the drum landing is at 12:00, that will insure the drum is center onto the hub. That is all the screws do is make certain the drum is centered to the hub.Then install the wheel and torque it. 

I have checked with Gunite and KIC they do NOT have a drum to cross reference to mine. I just got off the phone with Cowlaw RV salvage and they are looking for a good used one.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by F433921