homefreefmca

Norcold fridge - fridge light burns out

I have a Norcold Model NDR1292. It is almost 5 years old.

THE PROBLEM: The lightbulb is lasting only about two to three weeks.

I had this problem last year and replaced the switch, to no avail.

I had Dometic send me a diagram. Unfortunately, it has not been much use.

I asked a repair shop to check for me when I had the motorhome in for some other unrelated repairs.

As it was eletrical in nature, they did not seem too enthusiactic about looking very hard.

I have checked to make sure the switch is plugged in solidily.

I have checked to make sure the bulb contacts are touching the end of the bulb firmly.

The winter switch to keep the bulb on when the weather is cold is off, as we are not in that type of climate.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Check voltage going into the back (outside) of the refrigerator. Should be 12.2 (50% discharged battery at rest) to 14.2 VDC (max charge rate with alternator or charger in bulk mode. 12.7-13.5 is closer to what you should see most of the time.

High voltage WILL shorten bulb life (as well as battery life and that of other 12 VDC appliances).

Brett

My first technical post and open for scrutiny (be gentle). Four things will add to the early demise of a light bulb: Over voltage (which I doubt is your case cause that would manifest itself in other places too), long duty cycle (does it actually turn off with the door closed?), Intermittent power (is the switch misadjusted and allowing it on/off rapidly-blink?) or vibration of the bulb. Can you explain a "winter switch" to me?