marcimiller2@gmail.com

Lakeview, Oregon area

Question

5 answers to this question

How'd you like the "Pucker Factor" coming down that No Guardrail hwy 140 east of Lakeview???? I road the PacBrake all the way down, and at the bottom it would not release which scared the BeeJesus outta us. Finally cooled down after an hour and released. I will NEVER travel on that Excuse For A Road Again.

How'd you like the "Pucker Factor" coming down that No Guardrail hwy 140 east of Lakeview???? I road the PacBrake all the way down, and at the bottom it would not release which scared the BeeJesus outta us. Finally cooled down after an hour and released. I will NEVER travel on that Excuse For A Road Again.

John,

A short mechanical question: How often do you lube your PacBrake (PacBrake sells a special high temp lube-- under $10 for enough to last the life of the coach): http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?page=maintenance

Brett

Guest BillAdams

If you are planning to travel from Winnemucca, NV to Lakeview, OR I am not sure that you really have any other choice. Lower gears and lower speeds will take care of any issues other than a hairpin turn that you cannot negotiate but there would be road warning signs and an optional route available should that be the case. Unless you are prepared to add hundreds of miles to your trip I think you are going to be doing the slow and steady thing along 140. I have never driven this route, I am just looking as how far out of your way you would have to go to avoid it.

John,

A short mechanical question: How often do you lube your PacBrake (PacBrake sells a special high temp lube-- under $10 for enough to last the life of the coach): http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?page=maintenance

Brett

Yep, got a tube of the PacBrake lube & their diagram. But the Old Original PacBrake just gave up the ghost, and I have since replaced it.

If you are planning to travel from Winnemucca, NV to Lakeview, OR I am not sure that you really have any other choice. Lower gears and lower speeds will take care of any issues other than a hairpin turn that you cannot negotiate but there would be road warning signs and an optional route available should that be the case. Unless you are prepared to add hundreds of miles to your trip I think you are going to be doing the slow and steady thing along 140. I have never driven this route, I am just looking as how far out of your way you would have to go to avoid it.

If I were to go that route again, we would go further west and up US97 to KFalls. The road was very beautiful and scenic up to a point about 10 miles inside of Oregon, then a downgrade of all downgrades with twisty turnies that gave me vertigo. I felt like my 40 foot motorhome was an airliner without WINGS. Heights had never bothered me before, that downgrade did. And I crept down it at 5 mph, it was that scary. Once we got to Lakeview, again very scenic, and Hwy 140 north to where it joins US97 was extremely pleasant and scenic.