sis1of4ch

Check engine light Country Coach Cat 400

The check engine light on our 2005 Country Coach is coming on for a few seconds then goes off we are about 200 miles from our destination. Checked and all gauges look good checked and oil is above add line. Is it save to drive. Today is Saturday June 22 and we are just west of Fort Worth.

sis1of4ch,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not possible for us to be able to answer that question without knowing what triggered the check engine light.

Do you have Silverleaf, Scan Gauge D or other monitor that can give you the diagnostic code?

If not, you might also check with a Caterpillar dealer in Ft Worth to see if they can download the codes for you.

Assume you have checked the obvious: Oil level, coolant level, voltage.

Called an FMCA member in the area she connected me with someone who was able to help us get on the road. We had checked the oil but not the radiator because we were not over heating. He told us if we were just a little low when we went up a little hill the engine check light could come on and when we went back down it would go out so we checked and we were a little low. Back on the road again and lots of thanks to everyone who helped. 

3 hours ago, sis1of4ch said:

We had checked the oil but not the radiator because we were not over heating. He told us if we were just a little low when we went up a little hill the engine check light could come on

Yes many systems have low coolant sensors that detect when the coolant is actually low, not overtemp will trigger the check engine light. My rig has this device built into the equalization reservoir since the unit uses two radiators, this device actually shuts down the engine as well as gives a low coolant light. I know this because I had it happen after a mechanic had worked on the engine, drained the coolant, and failed to burp the system after refilling, wouldn't you know it went dead in the busiest intersection at the busiest time of the year.