don.vardell.sr@vardell.net

Free National Park Camping?

Is there any free camping in our national parks April 17-25? I made a note a couple of weeks ago to that effect. However, that is all I wrote. I have made a cursory review of my email activity for this time period and cannot find a mention of it. I'm wondering if it is for any citizen, military folks, or is not true? Anyone know of this?

Hi donvardell,

The dates mentioned in the OP are for free entrance to the National Parks. Check the NPS web site. I know of no days when free camping is offered above and beyond what may be normally be free camping (primitive sites).

The following info is from the Motorhome News portion of FMCA.com:

The National Park Service will offer fee-free days again this year, allowing visitors to check out the nation's 391 national parks without paying an admission fee.

The first fee-free days are scheduled for April 17 to 25, National Parks Week 2010. Information on additional fee-free periods will be released later this spring.

In addition to the fee-free days, many tour operators, hotels, restaurants and gift shops plan to provide discounts and special promotions.

Fees for activities such as camping, tours and concessions are not affected by the entrance fee waiver.

There are 147 parks that normally charge entrance fees ranging from $3 to $25, and 244 national parks never charge entrance fees.

For more about national parks, visit www.nps.gov.