biggrigg

Replacing stock muffler

I am considering putting a 5050xl aero turbine muffler on my 2008 Travel Supreme 400 ISL cummings. Brazel RV out of Oregon was at Quartzite, Ariz., and almost sold me on one. Promises of more power and better mpg.

Has anyone had this muffler installed on their coach, and if so, what are your thoughts ... mainly regarding mpg and power? And, how loud was it (I like quiet). Also, they said that an AFE air cleaner in combination would help immensely. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There is no "one answer" to this one. Since the chassis maker specs the exhaust system including muffler, the gain you will have depends on how restrictive your exhaust system is. Some chassis makers saved a few dollars by undersizing components, some went to the other extreme and gave you pretty flow through exhaust systems from the factory (same as happened with air filters).

If you copy the model number off your current muffler, call its manufacturer and determine the CFM and then call your engine manufacturer with that information, they would be able to give you pretty sage advice on what you would gain.

This is all assuming you don't have a late model coach with DPF filter/muffler, catalytic converter, etc. where that part of the exhaust is part of the emission control and must remain in place.

Brett