sclark@nexion-health.com

Texas to Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone

Question

We have heard some horror stories about some of the roads and grades of hills. Also looking at finding best place to land once we head to Yellowstone. We were told that the park is not really appropriate for big rigs, so we're not sure what entrance to pick to find us an RV park. Thanks, ahead of time.

2 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

I would recommend that you plan to go to West Yellowstone and stay at the Grizzly RV Park. You will be about 14 miles out from the main circle but it will eliminate issues with trying to park inside the park. Fishing Bridge is the only full hookup park and they don't have hook-ups this year to do mechanical problems. The other parks are dry camp and pretty tight especially getting around all of those trees. Depending upon your time limits there you could stay in W. Yellowstone and explore the central and S. parts and then stay at the RV park near the N. entrance at Yellowstone RV park in Gardiner, MT and explore that area for awhile. You can do it all from W. Yellowstone, it's just a longer drive. Heck, it was snowing when we were there and we still enjoyed all of the driving. Since you are coming from Mt. Rushmore (don't forget to stop at Devil's Tower) you might want to try that in the opposite order. Go into Gardiner first, visit that area and then go through the park (no problem) and out the West Entrance to W. Yellowstone. We took the scenic route / short route going West from Sheridan, through Cody and into the East Entrance. There are a lot of 180 degree switchbacks so slow and steady wins that race but it is a more difficult drive an staying on I-90 and going in the N. Entrance. Many call Cody a don't miss location as well so if this is part of your agenda you will want to plan on the slow/short/scenic drive. If you are not comfortable with driving these kinds of roads (really only one section that has a windy road up and then down again) then avoid this section entirely. We were on our first full-timing trip in a 40 footer and towing.

Welcome cierarosey,

In addition to the excellent information above, I am going to refer you to another discussion on Yellowstone from last summer. Some of this information may be helpful even if the direction of travel is different. Note one of my posts deals with some bridge work in the park itself. You should check the web site to see what the progress and schedule are for completion of construction. Check on Best Route to Yellowstone..

There are several other discussions that may be of interest to you, use the search button above and type in Yellowstone. You will come up with half a dozen other discussions about where to stay and travel suggestions.