sherrards

Troubleshooting propane refrigerator

I'm troubleshooting why the igniter will not light my Dometic refrigerator. I have done the following troubleshooting steps.

1. cleaned the chimney and burner tube. I checked the gap on the burner tube and igniter. I also removed and cleaned the propane jet.

2. I verified 12 volts at input source from the RV.

3. I verified 12 volts on each side of the over temp switch.

Now, I am trying to determine if the igniter is bad.I can manually light the unit and it does fine. There is no spark between the igniter and the burner tube.Is there a way to check the igniter for voltage? I read somewhere not to hook to that, as it would burn up the multi-meter. I see a grey wire leaving the control board that connects to the igniter.

Thank you,

BIll

Bill, The fact that you can manually light the flame and it works fine, points to the electronic ignition portion of the circuit board. About the only thing one can check is the continuity of the high voltage wire. The problem sounds like a failed part, but if you have a good soldering skill set - you might look for a bad solder connection.

The igniter circuit voltage will put you right on you butt. Not fun to play with. If the gap is set correctly and you do not get a spark. The circuit has an issue.

Board level drawing are few to none in many cases.

Rich.