Sign in to follow this  
rayin

Battery charging settings in my Xantrex RS2000

Since purchase I've left the setting for 3-stage charging; bulk, absorption, float. That set of 3 Exide deep-cycle 12V batteries lasted 4 yrs 7 mos. After re-reading my owners manual I changed the setting to 2-stage, bulk, absorption, the float is replaced by off. The Xantrex charger senses when the batteries require charging and turn on the charging process. I'll see how this set of new batteries last. BTW, the float is 14.1V@ 51° by  battery temp sensor. Float setting can only be changed by Xantrex technician per the online manual.

Am I being naive to think this way?

14.1 float is too high.  What does your Xantrex manual suggest is proper float voltage???

Yes, short term defense to long-term over charging is exactly what you did.

I don't remember what float charge(update-none listed) is listed in the manual. I do know the Exide website listed 14.8 as maximum float voltage. That IMO was 1 full volt too high, but Exide must know their products.

The Xantrex RS2000 owners manual, on pg 3-19 only discusses what is user configurable charger settings: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/RS2000_Sine_Wave_Inverter-Charger_Operation_Guide(975-0125-01-01_Rev-A).pdf

Another section states settings not discussed may only be changed by a dealer, or Xantrex technician.

My only way to affect those settings is by reducing the total AH of all batteries, 5 in my case, 2 start, 3 house. I have the charger setting at 300AH(this does not include the start battery AH. This means the charge rate is divided by 5, ie: maximum 60A charge rate.

BTW, when I first turned the inverter/charger after installing new batteries, the readout said; voltage 12.2, then bulk charging at 15V @39A. That slowly lowered  to absorption rate, then off=not charging.

I'm wondering if the old dead batteries have affected the inverter/charger, if that is the case I'll buy a new Xantrex SW3012 =3,000w inverter @ 12V, 150A charger.

Ya, proper float voltage is temperature dependent.  Must be REALLY cold for 14.XX to be correct.  Colder than I would want to be out camping in.

But, go to page 114 of your manual.  Sadly, the table did not paste in a legible form, but shows float voltage of 13.5 which is OK with me at below 50 degrees F.

Charge Algorithm Definitions

Table B-1Battery Defaults Figure B-1 Three-stage Charging ProfileVoltageFlooded (or wet)GelAGMVAAbsorption Voltage (VDC)14.414.414.3VGGassing Voltage (VDC)13.513.813.45VF1

Float Voltage (VDC)13.513.813.45VF2Float Exit Voltage (VDC)12.512.512.5VEEqualize Voltage (VDC)15.8NANA

OK, I see the chart stating 13.5v. This means I must review my settings to insure they are all correct. Every voltage displayed on the remote appears 1V higher than what should be normal, except for actual battery voltage. Thank you for reading the manual and pointing out the float voltage,I looked, guess I was too tired to be reading.

The nearest Xantrex repair center to me is in White House, TN; I'll call them tomorrow and have a conversation about my unit.

Ya, outdoor temperature yesterday was 38°, garage is unheated unless I'm working there. The battery temp sender indicated 51° yesterday when I installed them and turned on Xantrex, 18° this afternoon.

A side note, DW said this afternoon, she wants to spend next winter in FL. (fingers crossed!)