Sign in to follow this  
f433921

HEADS UP Front TV

While traveling eastbound on I-10 just east of San Bernardino CA my front mounted TV fell out of the cabinet anf fell on the floor between the drivers and passenger seats.  Fortunately nobody was injured and only minor damage.  

I have owned the rig for 9 years and never had the needs to remove the TV never had any signs that TV was moving within the cabinet.  I just assumed that front mounted wood trim was what was securing the TV in place.  What I found was the previous owner must have removed the TV for some real an didn't secure it properly.  I found the steel bracket that was bolted to back of the TV had not been bolted to the structural steel coach frame. It appeared that it had been bolted at one time or another, no bolts were found in the cabinet and there were no broken bolts in the threaded holes in the structural steel coach frame.

I had been planning on changing out the TV's to flat screen ones, just never got around to it.

I recommend that any one still using the old heavy TV's to at least check to make sure they are secured correctly.  Better yet just change it out to flat screen.  

I just completed the installation yesterday right here in the campground.

Jim

Jim, several year ago I changed out both of our TVs for Flat Panel units. On the front tv I cut the box back by 7 inches. The new TV is secured by "L" brackets and 4 long all thread bolts. I have been in the cabinet several times and each time the nuts holding the TV tight are still tight.

Herman

19 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Jim, several year ago I changed out both of our TVs for Flat Panel units. On the front tv I cut the box back by 7 inches. The new TV is secured by "L" brackets and 4 long all thread bolts. I have been in the cabinet several times and each time the nuts holding the TV tight are still tight.

Herman

I'm going to shorten my cabinet when I get back the the NE,  I used nylock nuts on the flat screen installation.