finhawk

Nashville Flood 2010

We stayed at the Nashville Country RV Park from 30 April until 2 May. At 0700 on the morning of the 2nd, we were awoken by a firefighter beating on the door. I opened it to see him standing in knee-deep water telling me to unhook and get out. A bad situation all the way around. We got out with a little damage but nothing serious.

I found out later that afternoon that the area was subject to flooding in heavy rains in the past around the end of April. Management did not see fit to warn anyone.

So a word of caution: Stay there, it's a nice park, but if the skies open, go to higher ground. It's not fun wandering around in filthy water up to your waist trying to completely unhook and get out before you're swept away.

Finhawk, Glad you made it out, hope there was no damage. Happy to hear that someone came around to let everyone know what was goig on.

I thought it was touch and go for a while. What disturbed me was that the water was about 2' deep before anyone was alerted. Especially when the fire department had asked the management to monitor the situation throughout the nite.

I have creases on both sides of the motorhome----one side where I got a plastic fence on the way out-----trying to see thru a rain covered mirror does not work. The other side where one of the 8'X8' wood platforms that were used as patios came floating by and kissed it

Guest Wayne77590

That is really not acceptable by management or the owner of the CG. Warnings should have been posted.

I hope you have some recourse for this.

The most important is that you are all right, and it could have been a whole lot worse.

Good luck

Glad you came out of this one OK. Sharing your experience will help others so you end up doing a good deed!

It is unfortunate that many campgrounds are in low places. The land is generally inexpensive and the creek or river that runs through the campground is an attraction most of the time. When you get the kind of rains we saw on the news from Tennessee last week, even places which might not normally flood can be inundated.

When you pull into a campground, assess its nature. Is it near a lake, river or creek? Did you cross a bridge before turning into the campground? If so, you need to pay special attention to the weather forecast. The rains that hit Tennessee last week were well forecast complete with severe storm warnings. We had a similar experience several years ago. Tornado warnings were posted for the area where we were. Part of the campground was already flooded and they had been moving trailers our of the flooded area all morning. We decided not to sit and wait to see if a flood occurred. We packed up and hit the road. Louise drove the car, I drove the motor home. We drove through some frog stranglers but were away from the area of flooding.

It is human nature to dismiss dangers in the environment. If we didn't do so, we couldn't climb that volcano, spend a day in San Francisco or go to Alaska. Still, it is important to realistically examine your situation periodically and sometimes take evasive action.

Great advice Tom but when you pull into a place that has none of the indicators that you mentioned, you have to rely on the campground management. When they don't make you aware of potential danger, you're kinda in a bad situation. When we went to bed at around 2300 that nite, there was no standing water. In the morning, a fast running river. So the evasive action was "making like a boat"!