Sign in to follow this  
aztec7fan

Firewood Bans/Restrictions

I heard rumors that in some areas of the country, you cannot bring firewood from another state. How widespread is this? Does this apply only to natural wood or also processed wood such as old 2 x 4's and scrap wood?

I assume it's to reduce the spread of the pine beetles, so does it only apply to pine firewood?

Thanks,

Chris Guenther

F3508-S

1989 33' Southwind

Guest 2driftrs

Chris, this is becoming common throughout the southeast. NC, SC and VA all have bans that we know of, and I think TN has also banned out of state firewood. The best way to find out is visit each states web site. They should have a firewood ban notice on their home page or reservations page.

Jan and Barry

In New york, they request that you don't even bring in firewood from another part of the state. If you do and they see it, they have you burn it all right away. Too much desease and bugs are being move around.

In Eastern Canada the same applies. We ran into locations where no firewood was allowed to be brought into the campgrounds. As Jon said, there are lots of plant diseases spread by carrying wood from one area to another. There are of course other restrictions related to foods and diseases carried by moving them. California is the state that comes to mind for this restriction. Plants are another potential problem. Potted plants have insect pests which can escape to native habitat and cause problems for years to come. If a potted plant is discarded it could escape and become a threat to native species (think kudzu - it didn't escape, it was planted intentionally by someone who thought it would solve erosion problems).

The gypsy moth is a concern in the mid-west. We were constantly cautioned to check the undercarriage of camping equipment when coming from other parts of the country into Missouri. I'm sure it seems to be a mission impossible to those trying to contain these disease vectors. All of us should be aware of the consequences of disobeying these restrictions.

In Eastern Canada the same applies. We ran into locations where no firewood was allowed to be brought into the campgrounds. As Jon said, there are lots of plant diseases spread by carrying wood from one area to another. There are of course other restrictions related to foods and diseases carried by moving them. California is the state that comes to mind for this restriction. Plants are another potential problem. Potted plants have insect pests which can escape to native habitat and cause problems for years to come. If a potted plant is discarded it could escape and become a threat to native species (think kudzu - it didn't escape, it was planted intentionally by someone who thought it would solve erosion problems).

The gypsy moth is a concern in the mid-west. We were constantly cautioned to check the undercarriage of camping equipment when coming from other parts of the country into Missouri. I'm sure it seems to be a mission impossible to those trying to contain these disease vectors. All of us should be aware of the consequences of disobeying these restrictions.

Same in the NorthEast. Don't bring in wood unless it has been bought locally.

Dan

Transporting fire wood. The only way that one can carry it and not run into local or state issues, is in the compressed form; like the pellets used in pellet stoves.

There are 2 size logs(in this case-they are rectangles) that use high pressure to compress wood chips. They come warped in plastic so they travel well and the cost is not bad. The larger size burns for about 3 to 4 hrs.

Winter months they can be harder to find up North and in the summer they are not in stock most of the time. Best time to find them is late fall / early winter in the northern portion of the country.

The beetle(s) are different depending on the species of trees. Pine, Emerald Ash and Maple are three that I'm aware of.

Rich.