rxfootdoc@aol.com

Choosing a campground membership

I have finally retired and hope to see the USA in our 40-foot Winnebago. We are not going to be full-timing but hope to do extended trips all over the USA. My question is how does one go about finding a membership campground that we can use as we travel? I have looked into this but it is very confusing as to what to purchase. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thank you for any input either to my e-mail address or in this forum.

rxfootdoc@me.com

The only way I see campground memberships paying off is if you really really like being in their kind of campground and spend plenty of time there. Most membership campgrounds have a limited number of campgrounds. If several of those fit your travel plans then a membership is what you want.

Our style of travel during the spring, summer and fall is to go exploring. We spend a week here, three days there, sometimes we stop along our route to several times in a day visiting interesting places and then spend several nights in a campground resting and relaxing. Generally we don't hang around campgrounds when we stay in them. The campgrounds aren't our destination. Our destination is a museum, a hike in a canyon, a wildlife park or some family event.

During the winter, we seek shelter from the cold in deep south Texas. We've been coming back to this park for nine winters. We have explored the area and know it well. We spend lots of time in the campground visiting with friends and participating in activities in the park. Louise can find a card game any day and I have a regular schedule of golf, bicycle rides, tennis and bowling.

Everyone has their own interests and desires for their travel experience. If you want the campground experience, find a membership park that fits you and join up.

Check out Passport America (Google name). It is membership group that gives a 50% discount at a number of campgrounds. Camping World has a similar "club". Some are very nice; others are about like a parking lot with hookups. On a recent trip from Indiana to California, we stayed at Passport America parks every night except for a couple of nights in an Airstream Park. Their website shows the nationwide locations of the associated campgrounds.

Sam

Hi rxfootdoc,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Consider purchasing a Passport America, Good Sam, etc kind of memberships. These have a low initial cost that can be recovered quickly by using the CG discount benefit. As you get some time "under your belt", you'll have a better idea of how to define your camping needs and how you intend to camp in the near future. It is important to understand these needs so you can evaluate if the more expensive (up front) clubs are something that would benefit you. Thousand Trails may have over 1000 different kinds of memberships. An important consideration is if you decide to join one of these organizations, look at purchasing a membership in the aftermarket environment. They usually are very inexpensive.

You are correct, it is confusing. Over 32 years of owning a motor coach, we have evolved through several different kinds of camping scenarios. All were appropriate for that particular time in our lives. As an example, we will be touring for 4 more years (Gkids need to see the USA). Then we will be more of reverse snow birds. Our residence is in south Florida where we will winter. We are now looking for a condo style CG (sense of community) in the North where we can enjoy cool summers. It will take us several years to make that decision. Unless, of course, the wife falls in love with one of the many we are previewing. :rolleyes: