akadeadeye

Jacks Not Fully Extending

Pulled into a KOA in Carlsbad last night on our way to Sedona and the Grand Canyon from San Antonio. We have a Type A motorhome with a Spartan chassis with auto level. I pushed the auto level button and the jacks extended, but only the right front went all the way to the ground. It was the rear of the coach that needed to come up a bit. The other jacks stopped about 2 inches from the ground.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Don

Don,

What jack manufacturer and model do you have?

Tell us what did and did not work normally in the leveling process as suggested for your coach:

1. Did air dump as it should (If that is the first step per your coach maker)?

2. If kick down jacks, did they kick down normally?

3. Did the jack motor sound normal as it started to deploy the jacks (at normal speed?)?

4. Was the process interrupted, either by you or did the jack panel turn off?

5. Was the engine running and therefore supplying electrical power to the batteries/jacks. If not, was battery voltage at or above 12.5 VDC?

Anything else you can think of that could help us identify the problem.

Brett

Brett,

Thanks for your speedy reply. We are in Gallup, NM, now and all 4 jacks went down, but the coach is not quite level. I will reply to your questions.

1. Did air dump as it should (If that is the first step per your coach maker)?

Yes

2. If kick down jacks, did they kick down normally?

Not sure about this question. They are hydraulic and it is an auto-level system with manual adjustment buttons.

3. Did the jack motor sound normal as it started to deploy the jacks (at normal speed?)?

Yes

4. Was the process interrupted, either by you or did the jack panel turn off?

No

5. Was the engine running and therefore supplying electrical power to the batteries/jacks. If not, was battery voltage at or above 12.5 VDC?

I had the ignition key set one click to the right to provide power, but the engine was not running. Battery voltage was above 12.5 VDC.

We are hooked up to our tow dolly and car while leveling. Would this affect the leveling process? Until we get to where we are going to stay for a while, I resist un-hooking since we don't need to go anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Question: "We are hooked up to our tow dolly and car while leveling. Would this affect the leveling process?"

Should have no effect on leveling.

What brand jack and model if you know it?

Check fluid level in the jack reservoir (with jacks stowed of course).

It will certainly not hurt anything and may reset the computer if this is a computer issue to unplug the jack computer box (with system turned off of course) for a few minutes and then plug it back in.

Also, remember that the jack motor is a high-amp electric draw. Particularly if it is a long way from the battery (long wire run of perhaps not overly large gauge wire, you could be experiencing a voltage drop. Deploying the jacks with the engine running insures 14+ VDC at the batteries and will help insure adequate voltage at the jack motor. Many of us deploy the jacks when we pull in and before we turn off the engine.

Brett

Brett,

I do not know the brand of the jacks. It is a Spartan chassis. We pulled into Sedona, AZ last night and all four jacks deployed after the air dump. It still does not seem that we are level, but we are very close. I will take your suggestion about leaving the engine running at our next stop. It could be the jack motor gives out in the leveling process as voltage is depleted.

You do a great service to the FMCA community.

Thanks,

Don.

Don,

Couple of places you can check for brand of jack. Even if higher voltage (not shutting off the engine until after jacks deployed) the information may be of benefit in the future:

1. Jack control panel.

2. Jack motor/reservoir

3. Literature that came with your coach

4. Call your coach maker with your VIN

Brett