Sign in to follow this  
akadeadeye

Highway 64 from Grand Canyon Village South Rim

Question

We will be traveling to the Grand Canyon this Wednesday and after a few days on to Utah to Bryce Canyon. I had assumed that we could cut over to Hwy 89 on Hwy 64, but our Garmin is routing us back to Flagstaff and then north. That is out of the way to say the least. Does anyone have knowledge about Hwy 64 so far as being OK for a big rig, towing?

Don

3 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams
We will be traveling to the Grand Canyon this Wednesday and after a few days on to Utah to Bryce Canyon. I had assumed that we could cut over to Hwy 89 on Hwy 64, but our Garmin is routing us back to Flagstaff and then north. That is out of the way to say the least. Does anyone have knowledge about Hwy 64 so far as being OK for a big rig, towing?

Don

I have not been on the road so take this with that in mind. Based upon the Rand McNally that I refer to I would not hesitate to take this road. It appears that you may have some climbing to do but it is listed as a scenic route and a principal highway. I cannot imagine that going back to Flagstaff and then up again would be the correct route. The Garmin can be set with many different parameters. Did you "tell" it to avoid something? Have you entered something that tells the Garmin to always use major highways, etc.? If you select Shortest instead of Fastest do you get a different route?

Hi Don,

I have never taken route 69 to route 89. However, I would travel this road with my coach and toad. This is based on route 69 from Williams up to the Grand Canyon. There is nothing in the Mountain Directory to indicate any climbs or descents to be concerned with.

Thanks Bill and Gary,

I did call the AZ Highway Patrol and an officer said it should be fine. We have a trucker's Garmin and have discovered that it sometimes takes you on routes that are 100% safe for trucks instead of 99% safe. That's why we question it and check it out. My wife looked at it on Google Maps and said it looked OK. So much for Garmin.

On to the Grand Canyon tomorrow. If you have never visited Sedona, AZ, put it on your list. It is indescribably beautiful.

Don