Question

Hello! 

We have travelled almost all over the continent in our RV (except DE, NJ, CT, RI) but never in winter.  I'd love to see the leaves changing colors this fall and thought of visiting the Blue Ridge the week before Thanksgiving.  Maybe around Spruce Pine, NC.  My husband is concerned that if it gets too cold or snows, some pipes may freeze and damage.  Floridians as we are, we have no experience in that area.  Any preventive maintenance or suggestions or advice you can give us, will be greatly appreciated!

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power;  Gainesville, Fl

2004 Coachman/Concord w tow.

5 answers to this question

Can't guarantee it, but it's unlikely that you'll encounter snow or salted roads if you head out in October to see leaves change color. Possibly if you are at some higher elevations, but for us here in Southern Wisconsin peak leaf color comes way before the snow. Have we ever had snow before Halloween? Sure, but it's not usually the case. There are also some great color displays along the east coast forest areas in the fall.

Here's just one of the many websites that help you find peak color:  https://blueridgemountainlife.com/fall-foliage/

Sounds like they are predicting peak color to be in October, with the colors fading to brown by the time you are considering just before Thanksgiving.

Freezing weather? That's lots more likely than snow. We're in northern Indiana this weekend, and the temp is going to be in the upper 30s tonight. With the heat in the coach running and the water heater warm, we are good to go until temps get into the upper 20s. At that point we'll have to turn on the heater in the wet bay.

I'd suspect that your coach can withstand temps in the upper 20s without any problems or freezing pipes. Hopefully someone with your particular model will join the conversation and help more.

Do you have heat in your wet bay? If not, do you have an electric outlet in there where you can plug in a small heater?

We love travel in the fall and spring. So nice to not have to have the a/c running all the time. The campgrounds are more quiet, and the cool nights are great for campfires.

Thank you Richard.  Wet Bay? I guess that's the large storage area most class A have under?  Our coach is a 28' class C.  It does have a couple of very small storage areas.  I wish we could go in October, but unfortunately we cannot.  However, We could go right after the elections!  I will check that site you mentioned.

Again, thanks and safe travel!

Jocelynn

Jocelyn, that time of year you should be ok unless it’s another weird year like we had a few years ago when it snowed on Halloween. That was a one off.

In 2013 we got caught up in ice storms in Van Horn Texas, Coming from California to Pennsylvania, the day high were single digits and our 1998 Coachmen class C held up fine. We had a wet bay, the last compartment on the drivers side housed the directional valves and the one in front of it had the black and gray pulls. Both had heat blowing into them via the furnace ducting. 
Typically around here you are safe until early December before worrying about temps low and  long enough to cause any problems. 

6 hours ago, OSCARPOWER said:

Wet Bay? I guess that's the large storage area most class A have under?

Generally speaking, I was referring to the area of your coach where the holding tanks and associated plumbing are located. Every coach has an area - some are distinct bays and some are just a section of another bay. Some smaller coaches put the 'wet bay' under the dinette or under a bed.

My basic point is that where ever your holding tanks are located, as well as your plumbing, needs to be checked if you're heading out into potential cold weather. What you're looking for is whether or not it's set up in a way which will protect the tanks and plumbing from the cold temps. Some coaches are true 4-season coaches and have heated tanks and protected plumbing, and some are quite the opposite with everything exposed to the elements under the coach with perhaps only a thin plastic guard.

Camping in November in the mountains can be quite enjoyable, but if you are looking for fall color pick your destination according to the various sites which predict peak color. There can be quite a variance from one area to the other, and if you pick wisely you might find a location with good color still in November.