patrickjmcardle

coolant plug

Good day all,

After draining and flushing my 10kV generator coolant in my 1999 Monaco Executive. I can not get the coolant plug to stop leaking? I changed the washer that was deteriorated and even use plumber tape. I am a hesitate to crank it down as the torque is only 5lbs. The threaded part that's in or on the radiator moves back and forth but does not spin and I can remove the plug, so I figuring the weld in not broke. However, I am at a lost, just purchased Permatex Gasket Maker, any suggestions?

Thanks and safe travels,

Pat M

Owner's manual?  It should tell you what is required for the generator.  I doubt that thread tape is required or should be used.  You might try replacing both the plug and the gasket with the correct part numbers.  I probably wouldn't use Permatex on the threads either.  Are you sure that the leak is from the threaded area and not the receiver you mentioned that "moves back and forth"?

Other than that, maybe a shop in the area that handles that brand...

patrickjmcardle, welcome to the forum. I would drain the coolant into a clean container and pull the plug and inspect both it and the receptacle carefully with a good  light. Some one may have cross threaded the plug before. I had a leak on my last coach where someone had used the wrong thread plug. Also look for cracks where the drain enters the tank.

FIREDOG53, Welcome to the forum.

Bill

You don't seem to be getting many suggestions to the question. So here is one for you. Does the coolant drain plug, plug into the radiator as most of them do? Are you sure the plus is leaking? If it is in the radiator, the drain may have come unsoldered if the radiator is brass, or if plastic, the housing may be broken around the drain, Just a thought for places to look and other probabilities. Sorry, I didn't look more carefully at Bills suggestion, but great minds work in small circles. LOL🥵. Good luck with the repair!