obiwan_canoli

Solar Panel Remote Actuators

I'd run across a post in another forum about a company called SolarVector that makes remote actuators for rooftop solar panels. Hmmmm... seemed like an interesting idea at my age... raises and lowers, via remote, up to 60 degrees, and when lowered, lock into place. Don't really wanna climb up and down (3 times at least, unless I add 3 panels to the 3 I have) to raise them for more direct sunlight, that's getting a little risky... so I did a little follow up, and discovered - whoa! - these things aren't cheap... $499 a panel for the RV version. 

When I posted about this, I received a response from an engineer who saw the same website, and decided to design and manufacture a similar mechanism, and stated he could design something considerably cheaper - around $250 - or, $450 for a master that would control up to 32 additional mechanisms... now THIS sounds interesting... So, they're not out yet, still working on it, but I'm keeping in touch, and I'm on the list for contact once they become available... With only one producer out there, there was bound to be competition, and this guy picked up the ball, and is running with it...

I'll keep you posted as I earn more... 

Edited by obiwan_canoli

If its a tilt only it will only be beneficial only if you are headed in the right direction.  The  mechanism needs to both tilt and rotate.  When I bought my panels I asked what difference in output tilting would gain and was told only about 10 percent.  I tested the output of my panels laying on my driveway and then tilted to the sun and they were correct.  Just  add a panel or two and more than make up the difference and not have all that extra stuff on the roof.

Seems to me that tilting in the Winter would have greater value and effect, since the sun is low in the sky, and tilt would help direct more of the sun's energy to the panels. I don't believe additional panels, flat on the roof, would do more. Summer sun is a different issue, of course, but a system that both rotates and follows the sun is for deeper pockets than mine.