tireman9

DOT serial

Some comments on DOT date code.
re "oval"  Tire mfg use different methods of changing the aluminum"plug" in their molds for the "date code". Not all use an oval plug. Some have used stamped steel strip or "tin" so it can have a different appearance.

Some things that is true about all  DOT serial 
The code comes AFTER the symbol DOT by law
The first 2 characters are a plant code. the next 2 are a size code.
The last 4 numbers are the date code.
The serial may have as few as 8 characters and as many as 13 with most having 12 or 13.
The date part of the serial only is required on ONE SIDE so may not be on the curb side but facing in toward the coach.

My advice is to find the code and record it when it is convenient to you. Nice weather day.  If needed i have suggested a $5 or $10 bill and a flashlight and a 10 year old to craul under the coach if needed.
Remember you may need to "roll" the RV forward or back a few feet to get the serial in a position that the 10 year old can see it.

Keep the full serial with your other important part numbers as you never know when you will need this information.

Great advice Roger! If I may add, I've read it's a good idea to register those numbers (when buying tires) with the tire mfgr. to help them contact owners of tires with defect notices or recalls.  Some dealers do this as a matter of service.

11 hours ago, rayin said:

Great advice Roger! If I may add, I've read it's a good idea to register those numbers (when buying tires) with the tire mfgr. to help them contact owners of tires with defect notices or recalls.  Some dealers do this as a matter of service.

Thanks.

Yes ALL tires sold are suppose to be registered so the owner can me notified if there is a recall. BUT many do not bother.

I covered the topic of Registration in THIS post. The post includes links to allow you to register your own tires or to send new contact information.