gwjohnson

50-amp from 30-amp "Cheater" Boxes

At an RV campground recently, with only 30-amp service available, I saw that a neighbor RVer using a device he called a 'Cheater adapter' that had 2 pigtail legs plugged into two separate 30-amp outlets (intended for providing power to two adjoining campsites), with his 50-amp RV cord plugged into this adapter. I've seen these adapters in some catalogs,... but, the alleged 'theory' of increasing the available Amps to the RV in this manner doesn't seem to make sense to me. I'm no electrical expert by any means, but doesn't a regular 50 Amp circuit actually have two (2) 50-amp legs? Does this "Cheater Box" adapter have any real merit or usefulness, or are people just kidding themselves? Before I shell out $65 to $85 for one, I'd like to hear from someone in the know. Thanks.

G.W. Johnson

Two different issues here:

1. Will it work electrically? If plugging into two 30's YES-- and you will have 60 amps total available (vs 100 with true 50 amp RV service-- two 50 amp breakers/hots).

If plugging into the more common one 30 and one 20, NO, if the CG outlets are to code. Code calls for 20 amp outlets to be GFI protected. If the 20 amp outlet IS GFI protected, this device will immediately trip the GFI and therefore not work. Also, most CG's that are not wired for 50 amp are older and the wire size is generally NOT adequate to supply both 30 and 20 amp outlets in a single pedestal at the same time. Certainly, there are exceptions.

If the CG is NOT up to code (i.e. no GFI protection on the 20 amp outlet), it will work electrically (ASSUMING adequate wiring size from CG breaker box to outlets).

2. Repercussions with CG owner. And most CG's without 50 amp service calculate their rate based on lesser electrical consumption than the cheater allows. You might give the CG a call (if you have one specific CG in mind) and ask the owner before you spend the money.

Brett

Hi gwjohnson,

I have a cheater box and have used it, with permission, and never had a problem. Read "with permission" as an added CG fee for the electric. This was okay with me as I wanted the convenience. My use was as you posted. Two different 30 AMP CG posts providing the input to my 50 AMP power cord. One must remember this is a total of 60 AMPS (30 AMPS per hot lead). For me it is better than 30 AMPS. If one understands how the cheater box works and what the true input AMPS are, one can benefit from this device. There are several different scenarios, of input AMPS available for these boxes.

Some examples might be:

1. 20 AMPS per side

2. 30 AMPS per side

3. 30 AMPS on one side and 20 AMPS on the other side.

4. etc.

There are adapters a plenty to allow connection to a variety of input power outlets.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations, Brett & Gary. I really appreciate and value the help from experienced motorhome owners like you. I also agree with the advice of getting CG permission to use the device!

Greg

Hi GW,

I agree with both the previous posts; but wanted to add this note. The cheater device will not work when the 15 A receptacle is a GFI Plug. It will set it off every time. I have had one of these for several years and they can be a life saver in certain conditions.

Take care,

Gene

One caveat here. Our coach electrical system has a computerized control center. It detects the incoming line current and activates or deactivates appliances and equipment to keep the coach within the available load. In order for the coach to recognize both hot lines incoming (as in 50A service) they two incoming lines must be opposite phase (i.e. 220V). The coach never uses 220V anywhere but the computer will not recognize or activate appliances for a 50A circuit (or 2 30A circuits) if they are not opposite phase. If the current is the same phase, the electrical system sees it as 30A and that is the set of appliances and equipment you can use.

So this device wouldn't be much use to me as I would anticipate that neighboring posts are as likely to be the same phase as opposite phase. Using a 30 and 20 from the same post would almost certainly be same phase.