chucknewman

Breather Tube Mess

The breather tube on my '98 Safari with 3126 is aft of the radiator/CAC, so no oil deposits there. Nor on the back end of the coach. But just a few hundred miles drive make a nice splattered mess on the white towed vehicle. It is a full size Ford van so, fortunately, most of the oil splatter/residue is below the headlight level on the front. I calibrated the dip stick and the engine is not over filled. Been there and that makes a bigger mess.

I'm sure many CAT owners have come up with methods to minimize (preferably eliminate) the breather tube splatter on tow vehicle issue. I'm looking for any ideas. Thanks.

Chuck

The breather tube on my '98 Safari with 3126 is aft of the radiator/CAC, so no oil deposits there. Nor on the back end of the coach. But just a few hundred miles drive make a nice splattered mess on the white towed vehicle. It is a full size Ford van so, fortunately, most of the oil splatter/residue is below the headlight level on the front. I calibrated the dip stick and the engine is not over filled. Been there and that makes a bigger mess.

I'm sure many CAT owners have come up with methods to minimize (preferably eliminate) the breather tube splatter on tow vehicle issue. I'm looking for any ideas. Thanks.

Chuck

Chuck,

You have done a good job with the basics:

Verify oil capacity from this Caterpillar document-- it supersedes your owners manual: http://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/517742/7/LEHT9288.pdf?mode

Calibrate the dipstick based on these quantities, as the angles of installation is not the same with different chassis.

Extend the oil breather to back of the cooling system fan shroud intake.

In addition (per Caterpillar), do NOT add oil until the level reaches the ADD mark (of the calibrated dipstick.

There are some oil catchment "attachments" for the crankcase breather, including some homemade ones. The only caution is to NOT restrict air flow. Caterpillar fit your engine with a 1" ID hose. Do not restrict it with any oil catchment device. I would start by merely wiring a tin can under the end of the hose-- it is amazing what one single drop of oil will do when it hits a white vehicle at 60 mph.

BTW, this issue affects all diesels built before 1/1/07-- Cummins, Detroit Diesel as well as Caterpillar. As of 1/1/07, all went to a closed crankcase system.

Brett

Look at the bright side, at least the van won't rust, kind of a continuous undercoating - or is it an overcoating? We prefer dirt colored toads. We have a pewter Trailblazer. If I keep the windows washed, it doesn't look too bad. You could purchase a boat somewhere along the Gulf. Then your boat would match your van...

If the tin can doesn't work, you might try Pampers! Rig it up like those bags they tie to the behind of horses on those romantic rides through cities.

Its been a long hard day, I'm in one of those moods.

Tin cans and Pampers. I generally overlook simple fixes so now I always ask. Thank you both.

Tom, it seems we have a lot in common. Most folks I know would say they feel sorry for you. lol.