skyking8

Low voltage: How Low is Too Low?

It's a known fact that low voltage can cause damage to applicances and electrical equipment, but I'm wondering how low does it need to go before that happens? I was recently in a campground where the voltage regularly dropped to 105. Common sense says that's a problem for appliances.

If memory serves, the national electric code says 114 to 126 volts is standard for buildings and homes. I am also wondering how a campground can exist without complying with that code.

Normal excepted range is 120 VAC +- 10%.

So 108-132 VAC.

BUT, some items, such as most converters are far less voltage sensitive.

Bottom line-- if voltage drops below 108 VAC WHILE UNDER LOAD (not just when you plug in), confirm that the appliance you want to run WILL run at the voltage you have available (again while under load).

Brett

My Progressive Industries EMS shuts my coach down at 104 Volts low and 132 volts high! :rolleyes:

Check with your A/C and microwave owners manual/manufacturer before running either on 104 VAC.

Brett

My Progressive Industries EMS shuts my coach down at 104 Volts low and 132 volts high! :rolleyes:

If 108 is the low side of the allowable 10% then 108 could be the limit for me, but a system designed to shut down at a certain voltage would preclude having to monitor volts everytime I turn something on. When a campground starts out as 112V, there isn't much that you can turn on without dropping below whatever limit it might be.

Thanks for the info Wolfe and kingfr. I think I'm going to settle on 110V under load as a safeguard.