shannon@mightypros.com

Towing an Electric Vehicle

What are the options to tow an Electric Vehicle behind my Tiffin Allegro Bus.  I am interested in getting the Ford F-150 Lightning Electric truck.  But it looks like towing an Electric is a no-no. Will an auto transport be a safe alternative?  Has anyone had experience with it?  Is the hitch on the back of the motorhome, and the trailer, capable of managing the weight?  

I currently tow a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD. The Ford weighs less.  My concern the hitch weight capacity, and the security of the truck in a  hard braking situation, if the truck is on a trailer.   

Any info would be helpful. 

Edited by shannon@mightypros.com

Welcome to the forum. 

Have you looked at the owners manual? 

Will an auto transport be a safe alternative?   What are you calling a auto transport? Most any company that does auto transport should be able to do the job.

Personally I don't want the hassle of anything but 4 down.

Bill

From a manufacturer when I asked this question. Keep in mind not all are equal.

”if you flat tow it, it will replenish the battery, and will undoubtedly burst into flames from overheating the system. It’s not designed for that long of a run and at those speeds”.

I appreciated their honesty!

I also asked at what speed can I drag it around behind another vehicle and for how long if the battery dies on me? I’ll carry a tow strap. 

On 6/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, jleamont said:

From a manufacturer when I asked this question. Keep in mind not all are equal.

”if you flat tow it, it will replenish the battery, and will undoubtedly burst into flames from overheating the system. It’s not designed for that long of a run and at those speeds”.

Ummm .... I probably would fire the guy that had the kahunas to even tell you that.  Customer service has gone to the wolves!