kenandeunice

Filters for Air Brakes class A diesel pusher

Several months ago I read an article in our magazine about replacing the filter on the air brakes.  I cannot find that article, does anyone know where I can find that information.

It  is a called an Air dryer. If you have a Freightliner chassis it will be mounted on the inside of the chassis rail on the drivers side by the rear tires??? Do you ever pull your tank lanyards to get rid of moisture??

This Bendix air brake handbook will explain in detail how the air dryer works, why it is required, and how to maintain an air dryer. Yours may not be Bendix brand, however they all work the same and are maintained the same;  with the exception of replacing the desiccant dryer/filter. Since RV'ers do not drive the miles daily to require replacing the dryer/filter annually, replacing it every 3-5 years on a RV is adequate.

This does not eliminate the requirement to manually drain the compressed air storage tanks prior to each drive. If moisture is allowed to accumulate and work its way into the braking system it gets expensive quickly, not to mention the possibility of losing braking ability.

You might want to check out the FMCA diesel club, which contains a lot of valuable information particular to diesel pusher motorhomes.

BTW,. on a Spartan chassis the air dryer unit is on the starboard side of the MH nearly opposite of where the Freightliner unit is located.

update: I forgot to mention the most important part of maintaining air brakes, the daily air brake check.

Edited by rayin
corrections, grammar, puncuation, spelling