Sign in to follow this  
burtbick26

Location of gray tank sensors on 2018 Winnebago Vista 29VE

Hi,

We've had our Vista for about 2.5 years, and have been careful with the Black and Gray tanks.   Sensors have been working quite well up until recently.

The Black sensors are still working very well, and are accurate.  But the Gray tank has started always reporting 1/3 full even when fully empty.

This was a bit intermittent, but now is a solid 1/3 after emptying.   

I've done a couple of cleanings over a 4 day period to try and degrease but that hasn't helped.  As mentioned it had been a bit intermittent and would change sometimes within the same day.  Before it started being a hard 1/3 if when from showing 1/3 to flickering a bit and then to empty.  That was in the morning but by afternoon it was back to a solid 1/3.

The sensors are external and not through the tank wall.  Before I start tearing things apart I wondered if anyone knows where the sensors are located on the Vista 20VE Gray tank.  That might save me some time hunting down the location.

Note I'm considering adding the Seelevel system, but I still need to locate the existing sensors so I could use the existing wiring if I go that route.

Thanks,
Burt

You will not regret going to SeaLevel. The only problem I had was the LP gas sensor would read 40% when empty and 125% when full. Needed to add a resistor in the wire from gas tank. Just never thought I needed it. I knew at 50% I better get a fill up. 

Thanks,

I located the sensors on the gray tank.   They are right behind the panel inside the wet bay.   I didn't see anything obvious with the current sensors, all connections appear to be solid and they are secured to the tank.  The only thing I saw was a couple of Pex lines that go by the 1/3 sensor, but they don't seem to be close enough that it would impact anything, still I may try to pull them back away from the sensor as far as possible and check again.

For the LP tank I have a Mopeka pro sensor.  It is secured to the bottom of the horizontal tank and for good measure I have a webbed net that would catch it if it came loose.  On our last trip we hit a lot of very rough roads here and there and the sensor stayed in place.   The mopeka LP sensor is very accurate.  It reads out in % with the app on the smart phone.  When the tank was freshly filled it reported 80%, and has been tracking well as we have used LP.

Instead of the Seelevel system I was thinking about the Mopeka pro water sensor, that is $70 and attaches to the bottom of the grey (or fresh) water tank with a collar and 3M double sided tape.   That is a savings over the Seelevel system, and since I already have the LP covered seems like the way to go.   Initially I didn't think I could use the Mopeka on the gray tank, but I found that there is enough clearance where I can get to the bottom of the tank with no issue.  So I'll give that a try.

When I was thinking I would need to use the Seelevel instead I was looking a a fair amount of work to install it, mainly at the panel end.  I was going to print a mounting bezel/spacer to mount it over the level LEDs and add holes to route the cable through to the back side of the panel.

I guess if in the future the black and/or fresh sensors start to fail, or the indicator panel fails then I'll look at installing the Seelevel system.

Edited by burtbick26