1montanaguy

Winnebago Full Wall Slide bolt failure

Hi, first time posting so be kind to an old guy ... 

I have a 2012 Winnebago 32h with a full wall slide.  A couple months ago it sagged in the middle, took it in to the shop and they diagnosed a failure of two bolts on the center (slave) slide.  After doing a bit of research I have concluded that it is not unusual, and, alas, it probably was starting when I got the coach as black marks and excess pressure on the floor under the refrigerator are consistently listed as 'warning signs' ... wish I would have known.  As it is, my warranty expired last year ... moving along to my question.  

The dealership has not seen this before, which gives me pause just by itself.  But they are working with the slide manufacturer to get it fixed.  Shop time is estimated to be 10 hours, and the entire slide will be removed.  As I contemplate the meaning of that ... disconnecting electric, plumbing, propane, etc., as well as complete disassembly of all the interior trim so the slide can be taken out, I can't help but wonder what is the likelihood of the repair holding up?  I like the coach as the layout works great with my quadriplegic son, whose space / mobility issues significantly limit usable floorplans, but, I have no desire to go through all this again either.  Aside from the cost, our season is just about toast.  

So, advice please:  1.  Have you had experience with this?  And if so, what is your advice to me?  2:  Once it is repaired, and everything is working .. keep it or trade it?  Only 40k miles ... 

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!  

Make an appt. with the W factory and go there to have the slide repaired.  Several years ago I had slide mechanism problems and my dealer recommended taking it to the factory for repairs. I did that, and the factory service manager told me why. Dealer techs do so few slide mechanism repairs they cannot become proficient, and usually have a lot of difficulty getting everything right.

FWIW, that slide never again had any issues. Turned out my slide mechanism had a bent section from when it was built, and that's why it kept shearing bolts on the motor/gearbox.

Rayin, Thanks for the insight.    In hindsight, I wish I had done a bit more research, the dealer has already put in a considerable amount of time.  That said, they still don't have the parts.  I'm thinking if I end up having to winterize the thing before it's repaired, I may just bite the bullet and take it to the factory.  I live in Billings, Montana, so it is a bit of a drive, but if I had known when I started what I do now, that is exactly what I would have done.  Again, thanks for the insight.  Glad to know once yours was fixed it stayed that way.