CLASSIC64

2013 ` journey 42 e regen light on

hi i have a 2013 journey  42e   with 8.9 cummins   16k miles    started it up for the first time this season . was gonna take it for a ride, no power  check engine light came on . the regen symbol is on   cant get past 1700 rpm .  cant find a switch to get it to regen in the  parked mode . any thoughts on what i can do, would be appreciated .  thanks dan

It sounds like the DPF needs to  regen. If it starts does the idle jump up? If so, it’s in regen but it sounds like you’l have to force a regen which I think only a Cummins tech can do. Wish I could be of more help☹️

If the regen light is on don't turn the engine off. If its driveable, i recommend taking it out and driving it like you stole it for at least 100 miles.. With only 19,000 miles in 11 years, it probably needs lots of maintenance done. Diesels are designed to be driven. 

hi it is on , i tried driving it it barely crawls then will pick up to about 35/40 mph then drop back down . it was serviced supposedly before bought it in the fall in Florida   drove it back 1600 miles no issues . it does start right up but cant get it over 1700 rpm  thanks for replying

If I'm understanding you correctly, the transmission is in neutral and you can rev to 1700 rpms.  High idle on my 400 Cummins is about 1000 rpm's. What happens would you put it in gear? Does the power (RPM's) drop?  If this is the case it could be a clogged fuel filter or clogged DPF. 

How close are you to a Cummins Service Center or authorized dealer? 
it could be a clogged DPF or a sensor, but the only way to tell is to put your coach on a analyzer.

With luck you may be able to get a Mobil tech to scan for codes and if necessary, do a forced regen.

as Elkhartjim said, it also could be a clogged filter causing the low rpm’s and check engine light and with only 11,000 miles on your coach, it could be clogged. But I don’t think that would throw a DPF light. There are several DPF icons, can you take a picture of the dash?

Have you checked your onboard diagnostic screen on the dash for codes?

hi, the company i work for sent a mechanic over and he used his lap top to force the regen . it took about 90 mis, said the computer said it was moderatly clogged .  he said on our company trucks have a regen switch on the dash . the motorhome doesnt . i drove about 100 miles after on the highway and all seems fine xxx my fingers . thanks to all who replied .