Hello All Interested Folks,

I'm implementing a Solar system on a MCI coach.  This conversion was implemented in 2000 with  a Trace/Xantrex SW4024MC2.  The chassis/engine batteries are 2 standard 12V 8Ds, and the House batteries are 2 standard 12V AGMs GPL8DL, rated at 255 AmpHrs each.  The chassis/engine batteries are supported by the standard MCI battery charger and the house batteries are charged through the Trace.   Additionally the coach has an on-board PowerTech 20KW generator.  The solar system objectives are to substantially reduce the generator use and increase boondockinig possibilities.  We are planning a X-country trip in Feb 2025.

I've done a power consumption assessment and have summertime usage of about 45K watts or 3.8K AmpHrs.  The roof A/C units are ~85% of this total.  My current forecast is for 4-6 600+watt roof solar panels and a battery upgrade to 4 AGMs at the 255+ AmpHr rating.  What can folks recommended here for the 2 system components, solar panels and house batteries?

Also, the Trace/Xantrex SW4024MC2 is original, and while operating well, I'm considering replacing it with a comparable Xantrex unit.  There are complications to this upgrade, wiring to a new driver's control panel, PowerTech generator integration/linkage, etc.  I'm interested in folks perspective on replacing the inverter and working through the complications, value and worth the effort?  

And, what might I be missing here that might cause added implementation/operating complications/disruptions?   Thank you for your help and interest.   ---  Jon

All following this post and project,

I'm continuing to make progress.   I've completed a power consumption assessment for the coach identifying daily watthours and Amp hours.   Both are needed metrics to size the solar panels and batteries.  Additionally, I've identified 2 firms that can provide initial project outlines w/limited bills of material to sort details and finer cost estimates.   For folks interest these firms are imtra.com and nohma.com.  Also, while the solar panels are commodities, the batteries are the essential core.  So the complexity comes to the batteries - number/size, the solar charge controller and related integration and support software to run the system.  Also, it seems the EV mnftrs, e.g. Tesla, have solved the battery and charging issues, so the open questions are managing/charging and distributing an EV battery pack through solar generated input.  I've posed this question to one of the system designer/integrators.   More in a few days, when I have these initial proposals.

All following this post,

I received a proposal to install solar panel on a MCI celebrity coach.  The cost was ~$25K-$28K including all components and installation labor.   The major cost was 6 lithium-ion batteries w/~300Ahr capability.  This 6 battery pack is an approximate Tesla battery pack.   The 3 primary roof AC units at ~1350 watts/unit is the major power requirement, ~80+% of the total power.   I chose to place this project on hold, given the total cost and battery requirements.  I wish everyone pursuing a RV solar project the best in getting the installation cost effectively implemented.   ---  Jon