Sign in to follow this  
kristin@here.com

FMCA Facebook group

I just noticed that FMCA has created a group on facebook. This is a very big step for FMCA and can attract a lot of younger and prospective members. With the way technology is headed this could be a great marketing tool for FMCA and I am glad to see them do this. If you have a Facebook account I encourage you to search for "Family Motor Coach Associaton" and Join the FMCA group. Let's get the word out about the best and world's largest motorhome organization.

I have what could be considered a dumb question/comment, but here goes anyway.

I can understand FMCA's benefit from having a presence on FB. However, what is the benefit to me, as a member? As an FMCA member what ever I need to say, can be said right here, on the FMCA forum. The forum is neatly arranged into topics so I can focus on what my interests/skills are. FB seems more like a free for all blog than a forum. I'm not sure what the benefit is, for a member, over posting on this forum.

Sort of agree Gary. Anthing we have to discuss and follow up on pertaining to our motorcoaches will continue to be on this website. Both my sons and family frequent Facebook and it is more of a social network for the younger crowd. However my wife does have a FB account and will go on to see different photos,etc pertaiing to family and friends.

Facebook is a social network of millions of people. If FMCA can promote our organization on FB, then it opens up a new avenue for potential members -- yes, younger members, perhaps. The forums on the FMCA Community are a powerful resource tool and still should be utilized. FB is different from forums. It's more personal and reaches out to a different demographic. FB is free and if FMCA can generate interest about the Association from Facebook's social utility, then it's a win-win for everyone.

Guest mflora

It's funny (to me at least) that I am smack in the middle of the IT world and I, personally, just don't get Facebook. It is a way for "relational" people to connect with each other on a very informal and, sometimes, a pseudo real-time basis (just ask me about my wife and Facebook...). I tend to be one of those typical nerdy types that is happiest sitting in a dark room alone with a computer working (and I really do mean working) on some problem, writing a program or reading about a different technique for solving problems. So, I seem to be missing the whole "relational" part of the equation.

Even though I don't get the Facebook phenomenon, I do realize that I am just one person and there are millions of people who are not like me. They do have the relational thing, even if I don't understand it. So, if all of these millions of people, who do use Facebook, MySpace or any other social networking tool, can have the opportunity to cross paths with FMCA (which happens to also be founded on the social aspect of the motorhoming lifestyle), then this can do nothing but help both.

Take a look at this article on the value of having a Facebook presence:

http://www.dmnews.com/Whats-the-real-value...article/130100/

Guest Wayne77590

Wasn't there something just recently in the news about facebook? If I recall, the gist of it was that any and all information, pictures, etc., posted to facebook becomes the property of facebook and they can do with it as the please.

Be careful of what you post.