bismarck

Propane generators

I am considering buying a stand alone generator for use when dry camping. I think I would like to have a propane operated unit but the lack of that type on the market makes me think there are some unknown reasons for their scarcity. I think that being able to connect to my coach propane tank, the lack of smell and not having to carry around a gasoline can would all be good reasons to go with propane. Can someone out there give me some pros and cons of using propane?

Guest BillAdams

First, there is a smell from the burnt propane and it is not a good one.

Second, since the propane generators burn about 1 pound of propane per hour you are going to need a really big tank. Our first motor home came with a built-in propane generator and it was the biggest mistake we ever made compared to getting one of the type related to the coach fuel system.

As a stand-alone generator you are going to have to have a very large propane tank in your RV to tap into or you will run it dry in no time. Of course, it all depends upon how you will use it and what you want to power with it, but I've not seen portable propane version and could never recommend one even if I did. If for no other reason than the availability of gas vs. propane I would pick a gas unit.

I have a family member that has a propane generator for a 5th wheel travel trailer. One advantage is that the fuel will not foul the carburetor if you are storing the unit. The 5th wheel has 3, 30 lb tanks, two for heat and cooking, and one just for the generator.

Getting propane filled when dry camping, I believe, will be more trouble then filling up at the gas station a portable can. Small propane tanks are expensive. It is usually a flat fee to fill the small tanks and you do not want to waste money filling it if it is not empty. Larger tanks are charged to fill by the pound but you would need to haul them or break camp to resupply.

If it is an unusual setup, it may be harder to find someone to service the unit on the road as well.

No right or wrong answers here.

Advantages of propane over gasoline:

No worries about gasoline going bad and clogging carb jets-- i.e. the generator can be stored for much longer than a gasoline model with no fueling issues.

Much cleaner burning fuel-- doesn't carbon the generator. Generator will have longer life than the same generator powered by gasoline.

Does not require an additional fuel tank/source assuming you have a diesel powered coach.

Disadvantage of propane over gasoline:

Slightly less efficient (fewer BTU's per gallon)-- so it burns slightly more fuel.

Questions you need to answer:

How many hours do you intend to run the generator? What is the size of your propane tank? Most generator spec sheets give fuel consumption at both 1/2 and full throttle-- determine whether the consumption figures along with your propane tank size meet your needs.

Do you camp in areas with propane available-- in many area, CG's sell propane. Most all Flying J's sell propane, etc?

Brett

Guest Wayne77590

We had a 5th wheel with an Onan 5500 Propane, and as stated, it consumed fuel very quickly. If you are in a moderate climate and just need to take the chill out, propane would not be a bad way to go. But as suggested, you would be better off in the long run to get a generator that uses the same type fuel as your coach.