rfstuart@cox.net

Wheel removal

I have a 2008 Allegro 34tga on a wh22 chassis. I would like to be able to remove the wheels myself to rotate tires and check brakes and basically take a look around back there from time to time. Anyone have suggestions as to what tools/jack would be required to get this done and what the torque specs are for the lug nuts. I read somewhere that there is a website that lists a "Kit" or collection of tools that would work. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

"Norco 72090" makes a max 22 ton air jack which would work fine. http://www.hyjacks.com/airhyd.htm

Torque depends on lug size and needs to be verified, generally 20-mm 8-10 lugnut wheels: 280 - 310 ft-lbs 1 3/16" Socket

22-mm 8-10 lugnut wheels: 450 - 500 ft-lbs 1 5/16" Socket

Remember this, these RV's are heavy duty and weigh 25,000 to 60,000 pounds and require extreme safety to work on at home.

I'm not aware of a specific kit, but an air compressor for heavy usage, 3/4" air impact 600 ft. pound rated, 3/4" drive impact sockets, 3/4" drive socket extension, chrome lug cap remover and torque wrench rated 500 ft. pounds or better will get you started.

This is going to cost you big bucks, estimating $2,500

I worked tires in a service station in my high school days. I leave that work to the experts these days. As Delta Donnie said, you are dealing with a very heavy vehicle. I would only tackle this project after doing quite a bit of reading and learning about proper blocking and jacking procedures. One slip up could cost you quite a bit of money or even more valuable assets - like an arm and a leg!

When it comes to torque for lug nuts, I've had aluminum wheels cracked by over tightening. Check with the motor home manufacturer for proper torque for your wheels. You will need a torque wrench for the range of torque required.

The W22 requires 475 foot pounds of torque and the socket size is 33 mm. The SAE socket mentioned above fits but is a little looser than I want to have with that much torque.

I got a 3 to 1 torque multiplier with a 10 inch extension and a 250 foot pound torque wrench that will be set to 158 foot pounds.

Even if I don't change a flat myself I don't think many if any service trucks will have the necessary tools to set the torque properly and I will have them use mine.

The tire shop I am going to have replace my 7 year old tires this fall said he will have to use my tools also.