desmo

Allison 4000 Normal Operating Temperature

We just purchased a 43' Beaver Tag Cat C12 with an Allison 4000 transmission which normally operates around 210 degrees Fahrenheit at highway speeds towing 4000 lb car ambient temperature 80 degree.

My concern is when I leave the highway for local city traffic the temperature gauge climbs to 230 degrees. I also noticed the temperature rise when creeping in heavy highway traffic. Is this normal? I haven't noticed high transmission temperature when climbing long grades it remains steady around 210 degrees. Also coolant temperature remains in normal range.

Transmission fluid is full.

Thanks

Desmo

Desmo,

Good question. Sadly, there is no consistent location for the transmission temperature sender unit, so comparison with other rigs may not be relevant. Allison does not have an "approved" location for the sender. Some are on the line coming out of the torque converter, some on the "far" side of the transmission cooler.

But I assume you have the synthetic fluid (Transynd) which is not as susceptible to breakdown at higher temperatures as was Dexron.

And yes, the transmission will run hotter in stop and go driving than other times because the torque converter is not locked in 1st and lower speeds in second gear. It is locked in all other gears.

You can help the temperature situation by shifting to neutral if you will be stopped at a light for awhile.

Brett