Sign in to follow this  
tmoning

Loss of a pet

FMCA member Steven Reaback of Huntington Beach, Calif., sent the following letter to his family to announce the passing of his dog. With Steve's permission, I am posting his letter here, along with a few photos.

On March 21, 2009, at 1:30 p.m., I ended three months of suffering for my best friend, Brownie. He seems to have had liver, kidney and/or pancreatic failures. I noticed his decline months ago. His stomach gurgled and made many "juicy" noises hours after he ate his dinner. He steadily lost weight, despite my attempts to fatten him for warmth during the winter months. Six weeks ago he began burping, with odors strong enough to awaken me.

One day (hours after dinner) he burped, and before he could get onto his feet, he lost his undigested food inside the motorhome. Good thing I had towels protecting the floor and carpeting!

I watched Brownie’s sleeping habits change. He began to sleep almost all the time. He had some appetite, and he still enjoyed a short run alongside me as I rode my bicycle. I watched him sitting and lying down when, before, he would always stand. I hoped and rationalized he was just getting older.

Then last month he got a mean case of diarrhea. I changed his diet. I cooked for him -- boiled ground beef, skinless chicken breast, rice and vegetables. Pepto-Bismol helped, I thought, but his stools never solidified. Everything I fed him went right through his stomach. He became bloated and very gassy.

I took him to the veterinarian. But mostly I compared his symptom's to those of his mother, Snouffle. Snouffle had suffered the same digestive symptoms during her final months. Finally she stopped eating. She suffered with diarrhea and vomiting for 12 days before she died. I had promised not to let Brownie suffer the same.

Last week his diarrhea worsened. He only passed a small amount of watery stools, sometimes bloody. He strained as he looked at me, with his eyes big and wide open.

Friday he pooped maybe 20 times -- once inside the motorhome during the 10-minute drive to the water dump station. He would begin panting very heavily to let me know he had to go, and then he'd bolt out the door and trot away. I chased behind -- afraid he would not return. I had to use the outside shower to clean his legs and tail -- his diarrhea and gasses exploded everywhere!

He did not whine, but I knew he was uncomfortable and suffering. Also, the blood in his watery stools almost made me pass out just to look. In the end, it was the way he looked at me.

First I visited the veterinarian to prepare and to get some tranquilizers. I pulverized them all and fed him his final meal of roast beef and gravy. I gave Brownie a thorough bath and brushed his coat. I scratched his ears, sang him some love songs, and we had a final "boy-cycle" walk.

He was pretty much out of it as I lifted him onto the examination table. Telling Brownie that we were going to fix his "pooper problem" did not help. He was very intelligent and he knew. As the veterinarian put the needle in, I sobbed loudly, and then for the first time, Brownie whined also. I guess we were exchanging goodbyes.

While I feel sorrow and a sense of loneliness, I am not alone. Brownie's many memories will comfort me.

post-220-1240411672_thumb.jpg

post-220-1240411703_thumb.jpg

post-220-1240411713_thumb.jpg

post-220-1240411718_thumb.jpg

Guest emcleod

Steven, I am sorry for your loss. I know how I would be devastated by the loss off one of our family dogs. They truly have a personality of their own and have a special part in our lives. He will be missed, but certainly not forgotten. Take care, Steven.

That letter was almost too sad to read. A few weeks ago, our Maltese dog, Jemma, was the featured Pet Spotlight on the FMCA web site. Shortly after she developed a serious cough (on our trip to Ottawa). After several trips to vets, x-rays and medications, she seems to be recovering. Finally, she was diagnosed as having a form of bronchitus and is on steroids. We were concerned it could have been quite serious -- e.g., collapsed trachea. We must leave next week for a trip to Alberta and we are hoping she will travel well.

Steven:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have had to have my beautiful dog put down due to sickness. She was one of my best friends and the sweetest dog I could have hoped for. When we were at the vet's office, they were crying with me.

She was actually purchased for my daughter but soon became mine. She would wait for me to arrive from work and be the the first one out the door to welcome me. It is definitely true that a dog is man's. or in my case woman's, best friend. You are right in knowing that your many memories will comfort you and in knowing that your friend is not suffering. Take care!