WildBill95

Trik-l Start

I have had the starting battery go dead while AC is plugged in several times so, after reviewing some motorhome forums, came up with the Ultrs Trik-l Start as a good solution for maintaining the starting battery while connected.

Well, I received it toady and installed it on the Isolator (I believe) as described in the installation instructions. I checked the suspect Isolator and each side, starting battery and house battery, had a voltage that reflected the voltage of their respective batteries with the negative terminal removed. Now I have 13.3 V on each battery, as I expected, but none of the lights of the Trik-l Start are lit.

Does anybody have a clue what could be happening here?

Bill,

If this is the Ultra Trick-L-Start by LSL Products, you might contact them for troubleshooting advice: TOLL-FREE (877)-257-4655

I have had the starting battery go dead while AC is plugged in several times so, after reviewing some motorhome forums, came up with the Ultrs Trik-l Start as a good solution for maintaining the starting battery while connected.

Well, I received it today and installed it on the Isolator (I believe) as described in the installation instructions. I checked the suspect Isolator and each side, starting battery and house battery, had a voltage that reflected the voltage of their respective batteries with the negative terminal removed. Now I have 13.3 V on each battery, as I expected, but none of the lights of the Trik-l Start are lit.

Does anybody have a clue what could be happening here?

If your chassis battery is good and fully charged the Trik-l-start will not go into charge or maintaining mode so no lights at all. I had the same thing happen with mine. I had a chassis battery with a bad cell, and the TLS would light up but once I replaced the battery it has not lite up since. I did check it by "faking" a low charge by connecting the TLS to one six volt house battery. The charge light came on.

I would test your ground connector to make sure it is making proper contact. Even with a fully charged battery you should still see the green light. I had a similar problem and it was the ground.

I would test your ground connector to make sure it is making proper contact. Even with a fully charged battery you should still see the green light. I had a similar problem and it was the ground.

I guess my batteries were charged. I was doing some work with the leveling jacks and low and behold, the yellow chatgeing light came on.

Wildbill, what year and model RV do you have and what type of chassis is it on?

Here is some informaiton from the Trik-L-Start site that may be pertinent...

"OPERATING INFORMATION — The yellow CHARGING light will illuminate whenever the starting battery is accepting a substantial charge. After the starting battery approaches a full state of charge, the green MAINTAINING light may illuminate instead, indicating that the battery is accepting only a small maintenance charge. (NOTE: The current required by some large or old batteries may never drop to the point where the green MAINTAINING light illuminates. Also, some house battery chargers rapidly switch their output voltage on and off, occasionally leading to a flickering yellow CHARGING light while the green MAINTAINING light is illuminated. Both of these traits are normal, and do not affect the charge process.) Shortly after shore power is disconnected or solar panel output ceases, all lights will go out, indicating that TRIK-L-START is in standby mode. The current drain on the house batteries in this mode is less than 0.005 amps (5 mA), and virtually zero on the starting battery(s)."