Sign in to follow this  
rpenrod47303@comcast.net

Hot Water Heater

Bought a used Monaco in March 2010..Living in Indiana and not leaving until December I winterized the coach recently..I decided to blow out the lines since I could hook up compressor to the water compartment and blow out both hot and cold lines...I had drained lo lines and drained hot water heater and also turned water heater bypass on.....When blowing out water lines I could not blow past waterheater because air blew into waterheater tank...I overcome this by disconnecting cold water inlet to Waterheater and also disconnecting hot water out from waterheater and blowing out lines by bypassing waterheater completely.....

My question is since I have only one check valve (hot water outlet) and one bypass valve, would it make sense that the check valve on the hot water outlet may be stuck open.....................Or did I make a mistake by draining waterheater BEFORE I turned bypass on and applied air to lines?

It could be that your check valve is stuck open or it could be...

Our check valve broke and a piece blocked the valve so it was closed. We weren't getting any hot water. When we got a look at the valve, we decided to remove the offending piece from the valve essentially turning the valve into an open pipe. We were going to replace the valve but its removal was going to destroy the water heater or damage the attachment of the water heater to the motor home. Give the two choices, we decided to simply leave the valve in place knowing it was no longer useful. This works for us because we winterize our coach by driving south to the southern tip of Texas! If we sell the coach before we have to replace the water heater, We'll let the new owner know what the condition of the valve is so they can deal with it. Given what we hear from other owners, seven years is about the life expectancy of the water heater in a full time motor home.