Sign in to follow this  
geneb

Paint Job On My Newmar Dutch Star

I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star that I had painted three years ago. When we picked it up, it looked like new. Six months later we took it back to the place that painted it. The salesperson said there was nothing they could do, that it was bad fiberglass. If he told me that before I had it painted, I would not have done it.

I talked to the owner of paint shop who did a section of the motorhome and they checked it the next year. It did do a little better, but not good enough to repaint it. This last year the one man said just live with it. I told them I had it painted because I would be able sell it faster when the time comes. Now it's a mess and $14,000 dollars are down the drain.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

What did it "look like" when you took it back? Was the finish rough (orange peel), oxidized, dull?

What kind of paint did they use? (Not brand) Base coat/clear coat? Acrylic, urethane enamel? Did they apply a sealer, if so what kind?

Did you ask what they meant by bad fiberglass? Unless the fiberglass has been damaged, I'm not sure what would cause "bad fiberglass".

I was in the paint and body business for many years and those are the first questions I would have.