Trooper

New Inverter

Hello all,

I am new at this, so here goes:

I recently purchased a ProWatt 600 watt Inverter to run my TV set while dry camping. I have 4 Interstate batteries to power this inverter. Question-- I plan on running a separate 110V line 12 gage from the inverter to the TV set. Will I have any problem with running the TV while on shore power or when the generator is running. The TV will only gets it's power thru the inverter. Is this an OK installation?

Thanks for your time

I have a 2005 Allegro Bay.

Trooper,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While plugged into shore power or running the generator, your converter/charger will charge the batteries, so the batteries will be able to supply the inverter with the power to run your TV.

Yes, you will loose a little efficiency converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC and back to 120 VAC, but it will work.

Many inverters have a "pass through" feature. They are connected to 120 VAC (i.e. have a 120 VAC IN as well as OUT) and when they "sense"120 VAC from another source, they just pass the shore or generator power "through" to your TV. Smaller, less expensive inverters do not have this feature.

Another option would be to run the separate 120 VAC wire and outlet from inverter to TV as you plan. But when on shore power for long periods of time, just plug the TV into the original shore power-supplied outlet instead of the new inverter-supplied one.

Brett

My Converter is also a Battery Charger and when I turn on the Generator the outlets and every thing works.

As soon as I turn off the generator, nothing works.Am I not charging the battery enough?

The generator provides 120 VAC just like shore power and just like in your house.

The converter/charger takes that 120 VAC from either generator or shore power and charges the batteries which are 12 VDC.

When you turn off the generator or disconnect from shore power, you have no 120 VAC UNLESS you have an inverter. An inverter takes battery 12 VDC and makes it into 120 VAC.

Inverters were not standard on many older and lower end coaches.

Brett