troyarussell@att.net

Making a Change From '95 Sahara

Hi all,

Looking for opinions (non held against you) to help us make a decision. We own a 1995 Safari Sahara 3530 with about 40k miles on it. We have owned this rig for about 10 years now and still really like it but it is aging so we are thinking of making a change. Our budget will not afford a new motorhome so we are looking for something about 5 years old, same 35 foot size (+- a foot) and would like to stay under $100k. We have a 4200# toad so diesel chassis is probably the only option. We do not travel full time, so this is a couple weekends a month and a couple (or a few) extended trips a year

So what are your thoughts?

- What 2005 - 2008 is comparable to our Safari quality and structure build

- Is it worth upgrading or keep what we have, do some interior updates, continue mechanical maintenance and plan for mechanical upgrades as parts wear

- If you owned a Safari and made a change, what's your hindsight

Troy R.

Concord, CA

1995 Sahara 3530

2003 Ford Sport Trac Toad

Here is a previous discussion of a different motor home decision but many of the points made may apply. You don't discuss your personal situation so those may be different but if you like your current motor home, why change? The fact that you use the motor home for only a few trips a year is an even better reason to keep what you have. Think of what you would be spending to get a newer motor home and apply that to the amount of use. You can do a lot of maintenance for the price of a newer motor home. The aggravation factor related to repair work may be lower on a newer motor home - or it may not - depending on how well the previous owner took care of the motor home. Even a brand new motor home has its repair list within a few trips. If you've got something good, stick with it.

Thanks for the input Tom. You touch on a couple very good points. Financially, it is probably not smart - use vs cost just does not makes sense. It will be just a 'want to do this' as far as the monetary portion goes. What is primarily concerning us for this change is what you also touched on:

"The aggravation factor related to repair work may be lower on a newer motor home - or it may not - depending on how well the previous owner took care of the motor home. Even a brand new motor home has its repair list within a few trips. If you've got something good, stick with it."

As I research I am finding that as motorhomes have become more complicated so have the associated issues i.e. slide motors, slide seals, air bag issues, trailing arm and frame problems, heater problems, de-lamination etc. Our rig, like any RV has ongoing minor maintenance to be worked through but it seems simplistic compared to these newer rigs. Ours is looking much less complex and of course we are dealing with the known vs the unknown which is always more comfortable.

So to make a change, it probably is more philosophical than factual, and to try and understand who was building the most trouble free of these complicated rigs during the '05 to '08 period is probably our first step. We may hear from folks that the old '95 is built like a tank and they wish they had never changed, or they bought an '06 XX and never looked back.

I do appreciate folks chiming in, as a business analyst by trade it is tough for me to make these types of non-fact based decisions without some kind of supporting data - hahaha - my poor wife.

Troy R.

Troy, Tom is right. Figure what up grades you would like. Then figure how much your payment on another MH would be. Take the differece between your current payments and subtract it from what a new payment would be. Set aside that much each month til you have enough for one up date. Then begin to save for the next up grade and so on. In a short time you will have an upgraded coach and not increased your payments.

New RV loans are not for as long as they were. And besides you have already paid a lot of intrest on your current coach.

Hi Troy,

I know of a Newmar coach that is being sold due to the owner's health. It is well within your price range. It is a 2004 Mountain Aire Gas. 37', 3 slides, all maintenance records and maintained professionally. The coach is in excellent condition. This is a coach located in Florida. If you'd like to contact the owners, PM me. I can provide their contact information. I know of this coach because they belong to the same chapter of the Newmar owners club I belong to.