robertbrockway@att.net

Pilot Truck stop

Hi

First time post.

Has anyone been charged different that the billboard price? I stopped at the IN- ILL state line on the IN side to full up. This was a Pilot station that had a bill board price of 3.139/gal for cash. My wife went in and gave them cash, the pump went to 0 but the price was 333.9/gal. When I inquired about the price I was told that I did not have a dot lic. and that I had to pay the higher price. That information struck me as being untruth, so I contacted the Federal DOT and they sent me to the State DOT which sent me to the IN Motor carrier service, we will see if they email me back with some answer.

Bob

Bob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yup, Indiana is unique in how they collect tax on diesel.

You were not scammed.

It IS frustrating to many of us from other states who are used to seeing the "drive out" price advertised.

Brett

Yup. Picked up our first DP in November. Found this to be pretty universal. The price advertised on their large billboards and signs are for 'work' trucks and for cash only.

Thought it would be much easier to get fuel for the DP than it had been for the gasser class A (where it was hard to find a station we could get into and out of). Access is easier, but the process is a PITA. One stop at a Flying J went well, they had RV lanes with diesel. The station near my home, where I topped off before putting it into winter storage, has two pumps side by side. One for commercial use, the other for the rest of us.

As we travel across the country, many fuel stops advertised price is for EXEMPT TRUCKS or CASH PRICE. Indiana is unique in that they also do not post price with Indiana Sales Tax; therefore, RVs pay 7% more and maybe if you use a credit card another $0.05 or more per gal. If you can get into the Auto islands that have a diesel pump, the pump price is the full price. We have also noted that the closer you are to the Mississippi river that usually the price of fuel is less. One exception is Illinois, because of their state tax.

Guest BillAdams

It can be worse! In OR they show the price of fuel on all the signage as "w/PUC". That's a commercial waiver that allows the truckers to buy fuel without the associated taxes. For the rest of us, don't forget to add the additional 24 cents per gallon!!!! Talk about a shock the first time I bought fuel there. AZ is the opposite. The price quoted is the trucker price and the price you pay is 8-9 cents per gallon lower.

You can check the Flying J site using this link:

Flying J Car/RV Diesel

Refer to the Car/RV Diesel pricing for accurate expectations. If you find local stations posting prices substantially higher or lower prices you might want to ask before you pump.