Sign in to follow this  
dhaslam@sover.net

Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadra-trac II

The owners manual supplied with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadra-trac II says that vehicles with Qurdra-trac I can not be flat towed. Nothing is mentioned about vehicles with Quadra-trac II. My vehicle in question does having a manual transfer case allowing for all wheel, neutral and lo and an automatic transmission. So it is unclear as to the application of flat towing. Could some one please advise if the Quadra-trac II is towable?

TIA, Don

My 07 Grand Cherokee has Quadra-Drive II and I have towed it 4 down for about 30K miles with no problems! Quadra-Drive II is Quadra-trac II with the addition of locking differentials front and rear. I doubt that the 04's transfer case is different. As long as you have a neutral in the transfer case, you should be good to go. A Quadra-Trac I is a single speed transfer case with NO neutral position. Your owners manual should have instructions for prepping the jeep to be towed.

Until over a year ago I towed a 2003 Grand Cherokee with the manual transfer case for over 50000 miles with no problems. Just make sure you follow the procedure in the owners manual. We now tow a 2009 GC with the Quatatrac II Jeeps are great toweds.

Frank

A full timer

Thanks for your reply in addressing my concerns. I have been towing an 01 Cherokee Sport 4X4 with no problems in the past. I guess the fancy names sort of confused me. The Cherokee Sport was easy, transfer case in neutral, transmission in neutral and away I went.

My Jeep tows with the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park and the key out. There is no steering wheel lock on the 07 Grand Cherokee!