TimLinda

Towing A 1995 Honda Del Sol or Civic

I'm new to FMCA.

I need to have someone tell me if it's OK to tow a 95 Del Sol. It has a standard transmission.

Have any of you done that with all four on the ground?

Also every place I see regarding a toad say don't back up with it. Why?

post-16380-1292915867_thumb.jpg

I'm new to FMCA.

I need to have someone tell me if it's OK to tow a 95 Del Sol. It has a standard transmission.

Have any of you done that with all four on the ground?

Also every place I see regarding a toad say don't back up with it. Why?

If you keep the tramsmission in neutral while your towing, it shouldn't have any problems. You should also have a BrakeBuddy to put in your towed vehicle. It will apply the brakes through inertia when you apply the motorhome brakes. You can find used ones on eBay. A new one will run about $900, and a used one about $400. Just google BrakeBuddy for more info. AS for backing up, maybe the tow bar is not strong enough to push the tow vehicle weight, or maybe most folks aren't familiar with how a toad can turn the opposite way of the towing vehicle. It would be like backing up any trailer. I would check with the tow bar manufacturer to see if the tow bar won't get damaged if you back up with it. Hope that helps. Take care!

AS for backing up, maybe the tow bar is not strong enough to push the tow vehicle weight, or maybe most folks aren't familiar with how a toad can turn the opposite way of the towing vehicle. It would be like backing up any trailer.

No, it is NOT like backing a trailer. The towed vehicle's front wheels quickly go in to reverse lock when backing and you can destroy the front end of the towed vehicle very quickly. A trailer's wheels are locked in the straight position, which DOES allow for backing. Vehicle caster is set to make it track straight going FORWARD -- kind of like a grocery cart. When backing, it goes to reverse lock (front wheels turn the opposite way from that of the motorhome).

Bottom line, do NOT back with a towed vehicle. Much safer to stop and unhitch those few times a year when we all find ourselves trapped where backing would help.

Brett

Trust Brett, you do not back up when towing four down.

You did not tell us anything about your motorhome. Auxiliary braking is not only a good idea but is required for trailers above 3000 lbs in most states. Your car's dry wt is listed as 2414 lbs. You are right on the edge.

There is a link to a guide somewhere in the forums here that may list your vehicle. I am not sure how far back it goes. Not all vehicles may be towed even if they are manuals. Always good to check with an official source.

Good news is that looking for your year and model I am finding adapter plates and towbar options for your vehicle.

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful.

We have a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire and other than ferrying it from AZ where we bought it to CA this will be our first adventure. We plan on maybe two or more years out, visiting all of the National Parks in the US and Canada including Denali in Alaska this coming summer. I am also into lighthouses and will try to see them as well. I heard from an Alaskan resident it is a good time from June 16th to August ??. Have any of you driven the route to Alaska before? I guess there is some question as to if it is all paved or not. Also I read somewhere that BC has a weight limitation of just 1000 lbs before brakes are required on the toad.