jctelling@juno.com

Can't Light The Oven

The Amana range in my Excursion has an oven which is not much different than any of the other RV's that I have owned - except I can't get the the oven to light!

I am right in thinking that one should push in the oven control, apply a flame to the pilot, and when the pilot has been on for a few moments, let go of the control?

The only way I been able to light the oven is to take the cover off the burner, and then actually light the burner.

Any ideas?

John

John,

The lighting sequence can interrupt at several points. How far does yours get before it quits?

Push in the oven control to allow gas flow to oven pilot. You should be able to see a flame fairly quickly (meaning no air, just propane in the line). If it doesn't light right away, turn on a stove burner to purge any air ifrom the line.

Until the thermocouple is up to temperature, you need to keep the knob pushed in. If this takes over 20 seconds or so, verify that the thermocouple is properly aligned over the flame. Misalignment of the thermocouple, dirt or rust in the pilot burner which can reduce the size of the pilot light flame, etc can cause the thermocouple to not allow the pilot to stay lit when the knob is release.

Once the pilot stays lit, turning the oven control knob to a higher temperature should allow the gas to flow and for the pilot light to light it. A few second delay is normal.

Brett