kwillis29720@yahoo.com

Spark Plugs For Better Gas Mileage

I am a professional performance engine builder. The spark plugs you describe are a gimmick. My experience has been I have seen people cause themselves more problems using these plugs and in some cases cause engine damage. Particularly in engines that carry or pull heavy loads like an RV or an engine in a high performance application.

Just don't do it. A higher output ignition will give a benefit if anything will and there is no guarantee it will. Use the plugs recommended by the engine manufacturer!

D. Shaw

Racesports Performance Engines

I am in 100% agreement with D. Shaw. They are a gimmick.

It is easier for a high voltage spark to jump from a sharp edge than a rounded edge and this is why spark plugs have to be replaced. When the center electrode becomes slightly rounded on the edge the spark may or may not be able to jump across the gap in the harsh environment so you get a slight misfire and your gas mileage goes down. The idea on these gimmick plugs is to add more than one path for the spark to jump thus the two or three ground strap electrodes. The theory is that if the spark can't jump one way it will jump another and help limit the amount of misfire.

The best thing is to use the specified plug for your motor and change them on a regular basis so the electrodes don't get eroded and rounded. The platinum plug uses platinum on the electrode so that it doesn't wear as fast and keeps a sharper edge for more miles. It is well worth you buying platinum plus because you don't have to change them as much. Iridium plugs take this a step further by using iridium metal for the center electrode so now you can make this electrode super small so it stays sharp all the time and will require less voltage so less misfires. The iridium stops this super fine center electrode from burning away.

So basically the use of platinum and iridium on a standard plug for you motor increases the length of time the plug can be used before it gets to far eroded and starts misfiring and affecting your gas mileage. There is nothing wrong with using single platinum, double platinum or iridium plugs to NOT increase the performance but to prolong the "new" plug performance over time. Also makes less work for you. Just stay with the major plug brands such as NGK, Champion, Autolite, Motorcraft like that and stay away from the off brand gimmick plugs.